RE: Canada Lynx Rare in Maine

"Chris Perley" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:23:01 +1200

text/plain

Good answer John.

I agree with you.  We need to move from decisions made on the basis of
financial criteria to those made on the basis of ecological criteria.  This
doesn't preclude commerce or human community, but it does involve a
significant ethical change.  The hope is that we recognise and support it
when it does arise (sometimes we don't, and people protest on the premise
that all practices are bad by definition - my pet bugbear at the moment).

I recently argued that clearcutting above a particular size was only
justified by financial criteria (bigger is cheaper).  I could not think of
many ecological criteria that could justify a clearcut over say 5 hectares
in area.  (I do, however, have a problem with those who condemn ALL
clearcutting irrespective of scale or management practices within the area,
as some species require some scale of gap.)   I had general agreement, other
than for an argument for larger areas in the far northern boreal forests
where permafrost is somehow limiting when scales are too small.  Don't know
the details however.  The point is that ecological considerations ought
(IMHO) to be the key because sustainability is far more often than not
compromised by commercial considerations.  Any forester who, like Leopold,
really cares for the forest ecosystem, must recognise the continuous
conflict between financial decision criteria and what is best ecologically
for the forest.  Financial criteria almost always result in a simplification
(uniformity and reduction of any values not instrumental to commercial or
social return) across large scales, whereas natural ecosystems tend to less
uniformity (more complexity) and more diversity.  The trick is to maintain
that complexity while accommodating humanity.

Chris