Re: Fwd: Eco-Terrorists Wreak Havoc

Benjamin S Hale <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:05:12 -0500 (EST)

TEXT/PLAIN

Hey all:

I have to comment again (it's been some time).  These sorts of articles
drive me crazy...particularly when they mention the Vail incident.

I take it that the threat is real from ELF and ALF, in that both
organizations (if you can call them that, if it makes sense to call
something without any formal structure, oversight, arrangement, leader, or
checks-or-balances, an organization) strive to do some economic damage to
corporations that are doing their own part to avoid accounting for their
own sorts of extremely external, but nevertheless, extremely costly,
damages.  But, I do take them seriously when they say that no humans will
be injured in the process.  These groups, and I have read a fair amount of
their literature, tend to be extremely concerned about causing physical
pain and suffering to others.

Now then, this is not to say that I agree entirely with their activities.
As I mentioned earlier on the list, I spent the majority of my summer
working on the Stop Vail Expansion campaign, and spent a good half of my
public outreach efforts offering apologies for the ELF folks.  In many
ways, their actions were counterproductive (and certainly made it hard for
those of us who were there on "politically legitimate" grounds--though
we were still engaged in civil disobedience.)

What is important to recognize about these sorts of situations is that, in
fact, very powerful counterforces can use groups like ELF and ALF to their
own advantage.  When I was in Vail, for instance, Vail Incorporated spent
a good deal of energy reminding the public that ELF could strike again,
and that there was a high likelihood that WE were members of ELF (which
was not true).  At times, agitators (whether employed by Vail or simply
outside agitators) would come into our camp, come to our offices, and try
to stir things up.  Which is to say, often those sorts of things that look
like they may be the fringe actions of a crazy radical group--as I
understand the black-clad anarchists at the WTO were accused of being--are
in fact the actions of sabateurs who understand just how volitile public
image can be.

Here's the rub: I consider myself an Earth First!er.  I have been
considering myself this for about five years, ever since I first got
seriously involved with the environmental movement.  During my time
working with other Earth First!ers, I have not met a more responsible,
more reflective bunch of people (from all walks of life: some with PhD's,
some with no high school diploma; some from wealthy backgrounds, some from
very poor, working class backgrounds).  Earth First!, in spite of what
many folks in the press may say about it, takes great care to nuture good
standing with the public, while also remaining true to its most core
mission.  Actions are planned meticulously, and nobody--I say again, NO
BODY--is ever out to hurt anybody.

So then, as to the speculation about environmental activists and violence,
I'd like to lay it aside as quickly as possible.  I travel in this
troupe of roving tree-huggers.  I speak from experience when I say, well,
speculation of this nature is unadulterated bunk.  The press does not
speak from experience, but from hearsay (or, perhaps more iniquitously,
from press-releases sent to them by moneyed interests).

Be skeptical.  And, while you're at it, don't be afraid to save a tree.

Yours,
Ben Hale
Philosophy Department
SUNY at Stony Brook