DRS_NEWS 1 April 2000

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 11:30:17 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

  DRS_NEWS                                       ::
                                                 ::
  The digital newsletter                     :::::: :: ::: ::::
  of the                                    ::   :: :::   ::
  Design Research Society                  ::    :: ::      :::
                                            ::   :: ::        ::
  Volume 5, Number 4, 1 April 2000           :::::: ::    :::::

CONTENTS

o   Editor's space

o   Design Studies

o   Doctoral Education in Design conference

o   Research into Practice conference

o   Human Brain lives in the past

o   Calls for Papers

o   Announcements

o   Questions, questions

o   Cyber News

o   The Design Research Society: details of membership

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to DRS_NEWS

EDITOR'S SPACE

Please note that registration is open for the conferences:
Doctoral Education in Design, CoDesigning, and Research into
Practice, all to be held this summer (in the Northern Hemisphere
that is).

Next month will be news about the DRS annual meeting and
presentation of the Design Studies Award, which takes place
today, 1 April.

DESIGN STUDIES - Vol 21 No 2

The March 2000 issue of Design Studies is a special issue on
web-based AI design tools, guest edited by Paul Rodgers and Avon
Huxor.

Contents:

Analysing participation in collaborative design environments
SJ Simoff, ML Maher
pp 119-144

A web-based system for design artifact modeling
S Szykman, J Racz, C Bochenek, RD Sriram
pp 145-165

A web broker for component retrieval in mechanical engineering
CT Charlton, KM Wallace
pp 167-186

Supporting collaborative design groups as design communities
DL Craig, C Zimring
pp 187-204

Filter mediated design: generating coherence of collaborative
design J Haymaker, P Keel, E Ackermann, W Porter
pp 205-220

DOCTORAL EDUCATION IN DESIGN: FOUNDATIONS FOR THE FUTURE

La Clusaz, France, 8-12 july 2000

Registration is now open.  See:

http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/phd-design/files/france.htm

REGISTRATION INVITATION

RESEARCH INTO PRACTICE CONFERENCE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF
HERTFORDSHIRE 7 JULY 2000

Your registration is now invited for this one-day conference.
The central theme is to examine the foundations of
practice-based research in art and design. Models of research
through practice may be found in the professional development of
the subject through exhibited and award-winning artefacts, in
accrued historical evidence in collections, in academic studies
and their assessment in the RAE, etc. We are particularly
interested in how any of these models can be mapped onto
research degree regulations to provide paradigms of research
through practice for students and their supervisors.

The conference will feature four keynote speakers and eighteen
workshop presentations. There will also be an exhibition of
practice-based research and a performance. Lunch, endless tea
and coffee, and an opportunity to network, will be provided all
day. Abstracts of workshop papers will be available on the
conference website shortly.

For information about the "Research into Practice" conference go
to http://www.herts.ac.uk/artdes/conex/res2prac/

HUMAN BRAIN LIVES IN THE PAST

If you think you're living in the past, you're right and science
can tell you just how far behind the times you are. According to
a new Salk study, it's at least 80 milliseconds, just slightly
longer than the blink of an eye.

"What you think you're seeing at any given moment is actually
influenced by the future," said David Eagleman, lead author of a
study in the current issue of Science. "This doesn't mean the
brain is clairvoyant, however."

He compared the timing of conscious perception to the
broadcasting of a live television show, "which is actually not
live. The show is delayed by about three seconds, so it can be
edited if something happens. The brain does the same thing."

Using a visual illusion known as the flash-lag phenomenon,
Eagleman and Salk Professor Terrence Sejnowski showed that the
human brain appears to construct conscious awareness in an
after-the-fact fashion, which they term postdiction.

Their findings counter a leading hypothesis that visual
awareness is predictive, extrapolating ahead of perceived
events.

"In fact," said Sejnowski," it looks like the conscious mind is
just catching up on past information."

The paper is: D. M. Eagleman and T. J. Sejnowski (2000)
Motion Integration and Postdiction in Visual Awareness. Science,
Volume 287, Number 5460, pp. 2036-2038

CALLS FOR PAPERS

*   28 November - 1 December 2000:  PDC 2000 - the
    Participatory Design Conference "Designing Digital
    Environments - Bringing in More Voices"  New York City, USA

    Participatory Design (PD) is a set of diverse ways of
    thinking, planning, and acting through which people make
    their work, technologies, and social institutions more
    responsive to human needs. The Participatory Design
    conferences, held every two years since 1990, have brought
    together a multidisciplinary and international group of
    researchers, designers, practitioners, users, and managers.
    The disconnection of the design of technology from the
    context of its use is well documented, yet the gap between
    design and use seems to be getting wider.

    Visit the Participatory Design Conference website:
    http://www.cpsr.org/conferences/pdc2000

*   9-11 APRIL 2001:  The First International Conference on
    people centred research in the Information Society is being
    planned to be held in Newcastle upon Tyne UK.

    The Conference aims to bring together researchers in the
    field of human aspects of the Information Society.

    If you are interested in receiving information about the
    conference please contact Maureen Dickson. Administrator,
    IMRI at [log in to unmask] or by telephone 0191 227
    3222 or fax 0191 227 3671.

*   7-10 DECEMBER 2000:  ISEA2000, 10th International
    Symposium on Electronic Art Paris, France.  CALL FOR PAPERS
    AND PARTICIPATION Deadline EXTENDED: April 30, 2000

    ISEA2000 http://www.art3000.com http://www.isea.qc.ca Email

*   5-8 September 2000:  Call for Papers HCI 2000
    Usability or else! University of Sunderland St Peter's
    Campus

    http://www.bcs.org.uk/hci/hci2000

    HCI 2000 will cover all main areas of HCI research and
    practice, but  will focus on usability engineering for
    e-business.  While HCI approaches  have penetrated many
    application areas, bringing clear benefits over the  last
    decade, electronic business will nail down usability as an
    essential  design goal.  The HCI community will be expected
    to respond with  ever-improved methods, techniques and
    design approaches that ensure that usability is taken
    seriously from conception through design and development to
    installation and operation. Industry Day - Call for Papers -
    by May 3, 2000

    We invite short and long papers for Industry Day.

    Contact details: Industry Day chair (Mary Jones -

    Conference Office email: [log in to unmask]

*   14-15 November 2000:  First announcement, Design and
    the Emerging E-Commerce Environment. An International
    Symposium Organised by the Department of Architecture,
    University of Edinburgh and EUROPIA Productions, Paris,
    France

    http://europia.org/DEECE [log in to unmask]

*   13-14 December 2000:  Second announcement, The 3rd
    International Conference on Human System Learning CAPS'3:
    Learning's WWW Organised by the: University of Caen EUROPIA
    Productions, Paris, France Paris - France

    Topics of CAPS'3

    - Web Based Learning,
    - WAP Based Learning,
    - Web Mining,
    - Agent-Based Learning and E-Book

    The Information Society is looming and new technology is
    shifting educational, learning and training paradigms.
    Virtual Universities, Cyber-Classrooms, Web Based Learning,
    WAP Based Learning, etc. may be cryptic catch phrases now
    but will be the norm within a decade. Web Based Learning is
    one of the new practices of teaching and learning enabled by
    the Internet and WWW. WAP (Wireless Application Protocol)
    Based Learning is one of the future practice of training and
    information retrieval enabled by the Mobil Phone Technology
    and the Internet. Obviously this kind of practices are more
    suited to users who want to evolve and enhance their
    competence in a domain than for traditional student-users.
    The emerging e-business, e-commerce and digital transactions
    on the Web sites become the main data sets resources for
    business marketing strategies. By using Web Mining (such
    like Data and Text Mining tools), companies can both analyse
    and predict the behaviour of their customers or "surfer".
    CAPS'3 aims to review, debate and to predict the power and
    the potentiality of the online digital information.

    There is more info at:

    http://europia.org/CAPS

*   Call for papers: Special issue of 'Campus-Wide
    Information Systems' (ISSN 1065-0741) peer-reviewed journal
    on the theme:
    "Multimedia Systems for Lifelong Learning: Success and
    Challenges"

    Dr Kinshuk
    Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

    Further information: Campus-Wide Information Systems, the
    journal of technology in campus, is published five times a
    year and also seeks articles on technology in the classroom,
    the library and administrative uses. General information
    about the journal can be obtained at:
    http://www.mcb.co.uk/cwis.htm

*   24-25 June 2000:  AID00 Machine Learning in Design
    (MLinD) Workshop: Saturday/Sunday, 24/25 June 2000

    The purpose of the workshop is to explore the issues and
    requirements of machine learning in design, to critically
    evaluate the current and required support from machine
    learning techniques, and to identify the key areas and
    challenges in the future.   The objective is to evolve a
    core understanding of the issues and main topics for future
    research and to stimulate synergy in the Machine Learning in
    Design research community.  To achieve this future issues,
    challenges and applications will be discussed and key areas
    for future activities highlighted.

    http://www.cad.strath.ac.uk/~alex/AID/AID00/MLinD00.html

*   7-9 June 2000: II International Conference On Design
    History: "The Emergence Of Regional Histories" HAVANA.

    If you are interested, please contact: I.D. Pedro
    Garca-Espinosa Carrasco Executive Secretary Sixth Meeting
    on Design Oficina Nacional de Diseo Industrial Calle 47
    No.3446 esq.41, Rpto. Kohly, Playa. La Habana 11300; Cuba.
    Phone. (537) 23 0797 y 23 0098. Fax: (537) 23 0798 E-mail:

*   29-30 June 2000: International Conference on Recent
    Advances in Soft Computing 2000 ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR
    PAPERS De Montfort University Leicester, United Kingdom

    email [log in to unmask]

*   7-10 December 2000: ISEA2000, 10th International
    Symposium on Electronic Art Paris, France

    ISEA2000 is organized by ART3000 in collaboration with ISEA
    - The Inter-Society for the Electronic Arts, with the
    support and the collaboration of the Ministry of Culture and
    Communication (DDAT, DAP, DAI,CNC, DMDTS), and in
    partnership with the Forum des images, CICV Pierre Schaeffer
    Center, Canadian Cultural Center, ACROE and the General
    Quebec Delegation.

    http://www.art3000.com http://www.isea.qc.ca

*   4-7 September 2000: Call for Papers EUROMICRO WORKSHOP
    on Multimedia and Telecommunication Maastricht, Netherlands.

    It is relevant to system developers, researchers, computer
    scientists, educators, theoreticians, and policy makers.

    http://www.euromicro.org

ANNOUNCEMENTS

*   18-21 April 2000:  Call For Participation Third
    International Symposium On Tools And Methods Of Competitive
    Engineering Delft, The Netherlands.

    This event will present a conscious survey on the
    state-of-the-art of the methodologies and technologies of
    product design and engineering, and will provide an
    outstanding contribution to the development of the related
    disciplines.

    REGISTRATION FOR THE SYMPOSIUM: You can find information on
    the symposium at

    http://www.io.tudelft.nl/tmce2000/

*   Invitation to The first seminar on Innovation in
    Construction orgnanised by the Southern Construction
    Creativity Club

    The Network of Construction Creativity Clubs (NCCC) consists
    of four joined-up regionally based Construction Creativity
    Clubs (CCCs). The network aim is to foster a more innovative
    construction sector, by developing methods by which data on
    the largely undocumented research activity and innovative
    practice of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs), may
    be shared by the wider industry. The Association of
    Researchers in Construction Management  (ARCOM) has
    established the network with the support of the Engineering
    and Physical Sciences Research Council, who have awarded the
    project a research grant for 12 months. The Regional CCCs
    will be holding a series of seminar events during 2000,
    which will showcase construction industry innovations by
    small and medium sized enterprises and larger companies. The
    NCCC website (www.ce.strath.ac.uk/nccc) will document all
    the innovations showcased from across the UK, to form a
    durable and accessible resource for the construction
    industry.

    Innovations are identified and showcased during a series of
    six seminars planned over the next 12 months. Our first
    seminar organised by the Southern CCC is scheduled for 7th
    April 2000 from 2 pm to 5.30 pm at South Bank University.
    There shall be three short presentations followed by
    workshops in three parallel sessions, leading to the
    identification of three areas of innovation. Your
    participation as a contributor and/or beneficiary of these
    events will be very much valued. To this end, kindly
    return/fax/email the attached booking form.

    If you require further information contact Mahtab Farshchi
    (Ms.) E-mail: [log in to unmask]

    http://www.ce.strath.ac.uk/nccc

*   27-29 April 2000:  AIWoRC'00: an international
    conference on "Next Generation Enterprises - Virtual
    Organizations and Mobile/ Pervasive Technologies" at
    Buffalo, NY. You can register online directly at the
    conference website at:

    http://www.som.buffalo.edu/isinterface/AIWORC

    This conference is jointly sponsored by the University at
    Buffalo and IEEE Computer Society, in cooperation with ACM,
    INFORMS and several other professional organizations. The
    conference is organized concurrently with an industrial
    exposition and a large international constituency will be in
    attendance. These two events will bring scholars,
    technologists, and managers from around the world together
    to share their thoughts and discuss the trends in mobile/
    pervasive computing technologies and the emerging virtual
    organizations of today and tomorrow.

*   11-13 September 2000:  ALT-C 2000 CALL FOR PROPOSALS
    Integrating Learning Technology Practice, Policy and
    Partnership 7th annual conference of the Association for
    Learning Technology UMIST, Manchester, UK

    Online submission form now on the conference web site:
    http://www.umist.ac.uk/alt-c2000

    Contact Janet Adnams for a printed copy of the call for
    proposals: <[log in to unmask]>

    ALT-C 2000, The seventh international conference of the
    Association for Learning Technology will examine the key
    roles of learning technology practice, policy and
    partnership as colleges and universities respond to the
    changing and challenging educational environment of the 21st
    century.

*   Taylor & Francis currently publishes over 500 academic
    peer-reviewed journals across a variety of disciplines. In
    response to the changing needs of the academic community, we
    are using the Internet actively to disseminate information
    about journals in advance of publication.

    SARA - Scholarly Articles Research Alerting, is a special
    email service designed to deliver tables of contents, for
    any Taylor & Francis, Carfax, Routledge, E&F N Spon or
    Psychology Press journal, to anyone who has requested the
    information. This service is completely free of charge.

    All you need to do is register, and you will be sent
    contents pages of the journal(s) of your choice from that
    point onwards, in advance of the printed edition. You can
    request contents pages either for any number of individual
    titles, or for one or more of our sub-categories or a main
    category, and you may unsubscribe at any time. For each of
    your choices, you will receive the relevant bibliographic
    information: journal title, volume/issue number and the
    ISSN. You will also receive full contents details, names of
    authors and the appropriate page numbers from the printed
    version.

    This will give you advance notice of what is being
    published, making it easier for you to retrieve the exact
    information you require from the hard copy once it arrives
    in your library.

    To register for this complimentary service, please visit:
    http://www.tandf.co.uk/sara and click on the SARA button.

    If you have any questions regarding this service, please
    email: [log in to unmask]

*   7 April 2000:  Sustainable Futures: Sustainable Design
    and the Educational Agenda The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester,
    UK Admission free, by registration only

    http://www.design-council.org.uk/

*   Announcement and Call for Papers

    Journal of Product Innovation Management Special Issue:
    Teaching New Product Development

    Organizations struggle to implement New Product Development
    (NPD) processes that help yield competitive advantage.
    Research has helped deepen our understanding of how these
    processes are optimally managed. Yet organizations still
    find the need to implement their own training programs in
    NPD processes.

    The purpose of this special issue is to provide a forum for
    articles related to effective innovation in curriculum
    design and teaching methods that have impacted the way
    students and managers understand and implement NPD. It's
    objective is to advance the field by helping develop and
    disseminate methods of teaching NPD that are rigorous,
    effective, and relevant to commercial enterprise. We invite
    articles from both academics and practitioners.

    JPIM is in a unique position to provide a forum for papers
    focused on the learning and teaching of NPD. It's readership
    of both academics and practitioners provide the opportunity
    for a rich exchange of information on how we might continue
    to improve the dissemination and implementation of our
    learning about the NPD process.

    Correspondence to: Dr. Gina Colarelli O'Connor e-mail:

*   4-5 September 2000:  Conference on  Construction
    Applications of Virtual Reality: Current Initiatives and
    Future Challenges. (CONVR 2000) Venue: VR Centre
    (http://vr.tees.ac.uk) University of Teesside,
    Middlesbrough, UK

    Virtual Reality is an exciting new technology that offers
    considerable potential benefits for all stages of the
    construction process, from initial planning and conceptual
    design to facility management and operations. VR can be
    applied as a vehicle for the whole life cycle design and
    operation of projects. The mission of the conference is to
    bring together researchers and practitioners in all areas of
    the construction industry and promote efficient exchange of
    ideas and develop mutual understanding of needs and
    potential applications of VR modelling. There are
    sustainable research efforts, in the UK, EU, USA and Japan,
    that are pushing the frontier of knowledge in terms of
    utilising and implementing VR in the construction process.
    The objective of the conference is to report and disseminate
    outputs/progress of innovative international research
    activities in this field and formulate strategies for future
    research direction. Leading researchers and practitioners
    will be invited to submit working papers for the conference.

*   7 April 2000:  'Dyslexia in HE Art and Design - a
    creative opportunity' at The Surrey Institute of Art &
    Design, University College, Farnham, Surrey UK on April 7th
    2000.

    For more details contact Ann Brigden at
    [log in to unmask] or see our world wide web site at
    http://www. surrart.ac.uk

*   To purchase a copy of the proceedings of the recent
    conference INCITE (International Conference on Construction
    Information Technology) 2000.

    For those who are interested, please note that the following
    proceedings are NOW available at a cost of HK$500/US$65
    (plus P&P):

    Li, H.; Shen, Q.P.; Scott, D.; and Love, P.E.D. (2000),
    Implementing IT to obtain a competitive advantage in the
    21st Century, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, ISBN
    962-367-272-1 p.895.

    If you wish to get a copy for yourself or your library,
    please feel free to contact our conference manager, Ms.
    Susanna Pang or Ms. Megan Ho of International Conference
    Consultants, at Tel: (852) 2559 9973, Fax: (852) 2547 9528
    or email: [log in to unmask]

*   The Visual Arts Data Service, (http://vads.ahds.ac.uk)
    provides, preserves and promotes high quality digital
    resources in the visual arts and the Technical Advisory
    Service for Images (http://www.tasi.ac.uk/) advises and
    supports the academic community on the digital creation,
    storage and delivery of image-related information.

    We are pleased to formally launch the web version of the
    VADS/TASI Guide to Good Practice:

    - Creating Digital Resources for the Visual Arts: Standards
    and Good Practice*

    http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/guides/creating_guide.html

*   SENIOR LECTURER/LECTURER IN DIGITAL DESIGN MEDIA
    (tenurable) Key Centre of Design Computing and Cognition
    University of Sydney Reference no.  A06/000225

    Applications are invited for the position of Lecturer/Senior
    Lecturer in Digital Design Media (equivalent to
    Assistant/Associate Professor, tenure track).  The
    Department of Architectural and Design Science is recognised
    for its professional graduate programs and its international
    leadership in research.  The digital design media area has a
    graduate program with over 40 students.  The Faculty intends
    to develop this program further and to work towards greater
    integration in the design computing and audio programs. The
    Department plans to expand its research in this area
    developing synergy with the current extensive graduate
    research in design computing and design science.  The
    appointee to this position will join a group of academics
    with an international reputation for leadership in
    architectural and design science.

    Further details may be found at http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au.

    or contact Professor John Gero, [log in to unmask]

CYBER NEWS: snippets from the networks

*   Celebrate the festival of colors virtually at:

    http://www.colorsofindia.com

*   An excellent portal to online newspapers worldwide is
    available at:

    http://www.refdesk.com/paper.html

*   We are pleased to announce two new free services on the
    Web:

    (1) http://software.forAEC.com/  To our knowledge, this is
    the most comprehensive directory of software for AEC
    (architecture, engineering, construction). It includes about
    3400 programs and on line calculators. Some are available
    for free. We welcome entries of academic software as well,
    so please consider submitting pointers your work. The
    library was created in the frames of ETTN-CONNET project,
    details at http://www.connet.org/

    (2) http://itc.fgg.uni-lj.si/cumincad/  This is a
    collaboration between TU Vienna and University of Ljubljana
    and is a very comprehensive, searchable library of papers
    related to computer aided architectural design and computing
    in AEC from the 1960s to 1999. All have full abstracts, some
    have URLs and author email addresses. It is a good chance
    that your work is mentioned as well.

*   Brain lags behind - the full news story is at:
    http://unisci.com/stories/20001/0317006.htm

    Live demos of the 4 experiments and some
    background/references on the flash-lag phenomenon are at:
    http://www.cnl.salk.edu/~eagleman/flashlag/

DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The Design Research Society was established in 1967, reflecting
a belief among academics and professionals from different design
communities that the essence of the activity called design was
common to many disciplines.

The Society has facilitated an international design research
network in 35 countries comprising members who maintain contact
through the publications and activities of the Society.  Members
are drawn from diverse backgrounds, not only from the
traditional areas of design, ranging from fine art to
engineering, but also from subjects like psychology and computer
science.

The goals of the Society are to:

o   promote communication across the boundaries of all design
    disciplines

o   provide a forum to exchange and communicate ideas,
    experience and research findings

o   promote the improvement of practical design performance in
    all its aspects

o   contribute to the development of a coherent body of
    scholarship and knowledge in design

Membership is open to individuals and costs only UK pounds 20
per year.  Members are entitled to the following:

o   Newsletter of the Society

o   Reduced rate subscription to the journal 'Design Studies',
    published in association with the Society by Elsevier

o   Occasional mailings to members

o   Invitations and reduced admission charges to seminars and
    conferences organised by the Society

For further details and an application form, contact the
membership secretary:

Professor Robert Jerrard, School of Design Research, Birmingham
Institute of Art and Design, University of Central England,
Corporation Street, Birmingham, UK B4 7DX

tel: +44 (0)121 331 7807  fax: +44 (0)121 333 5569

email <[log in to unmask]

ELECTRONIC SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

*   DRS_NEWS is the electronic newsletter of the Design
    Research Society.  It communicates news about research
    throughout the world.  It is mailed automatically at the
    beginning of each month and is free.  You may subscribe at
    the following site:

    http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/design-research/join.html

*   DRS is a discussion list open for unmoderated discussion
    on all matters related to design research.  You may
    subscribe at the following site:

    http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/drs/join.html

*   PHD-DESIGN is a discussion list open for unmoderated
    discussion on all matters related to the PhD in design.  You
    may subscribe at the following site:

    http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/phd-design/join.html

*   Full information about the Design Research Society may be
    found at:

    http://www.drs.org.uk

CONTRIBUTIONS

Information to the editor (email only):

Dr. David Durling, Director, Advanced Research Institute,
School of Art & Design, Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 2XN, UK.

tel +44(0)1782 294565 fax +44(0)1782 294873
email: <[log in to unmask]