[CSL]: CTHEORY Article 88[1]-Distraction and Digital Culture

John Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:49:27 +0100

text/plain

From: CTHEORY EDITORS
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 05/10/00 20:14
Subject: Article 88[1]-Distraction and Digital Culture

 CTHEORY          THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE        VOL 23, NO 3

 Article 88[1]   10/05/00        Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

 Distraction and Digital Culture [Part 1]

 ~William Bogard~

 Two stories of distraction
 --------------------------

 She seemed removed again tonight, dimly preoccupied with something,
 or someone, else. Entering the room, she pretended I wasn't there,
 something I hate. Or she would smile indifferently, deafly assenting
 to whatever remark I made, making her absence all that more glaring.
 All my miserable attempts to seduce her failed. I noticed that her
 state of distraction had deepened during the last weeks, and she fell
 into innocuous habits that betrayed a hidden terror. She had always
 despised routine, but now her routines never changed. Something had
 stolen her eyes, as it would eventually take away her hands, her
 entire body. By degree, her touch became cold and distant. I
 suspected an affair. And soon, ~I~ became her distraction, her hated
 routine, removing her from what had removed her. She could not bear
 the sound of my voice, the cut of my collar, how I looked at her, how
 I breathed, having to submit to these ridiculous signs of power. And
 her irritation and detachment grew daily, until finally one morning
 she disappeared.

 A crowd gathers on the sidewalk. Ten stories above, a child, a young
 girl, is perched precariously on a ledge, frozen, the wind dancing in
 her hair. Below a pack of eyes raised to the sky, transfixed in the
 anticipation of disaster. Trucks with satellite dishes arrive to
 capture the event live, to be replayed a thousand times on every
 channel from every angle to the last numbing detail, at least until
 the ratings drop. Talking heads compare similar events in history. As
 for the future, computer simulations show how it will look, to the
 eyes of a child, to fall from a ten-story building or, to the "eyes"
 of the sidewalk, how brains splatter on concrete from that height;
 everything is rerun endlessly, blown up, and run again. A miniseries
 is in the works, we hear... book deals, promotional materials, all
 set to go. It's not everyday this happens (is it?). The police order
 the crowd back, then rope off the viewing area. Stands are erected;
 ambulances stand by; a helicopter hovers overhead, then swoops in low
 for a tight shot. The stage is set, the suspense is perfect. Now, as
 if on direction, the child moves closer to the edge, reaches out,
 falters, then falls. Time expands. The crowd gasps and grows silent;
 across the country the masses turn to their screens to see the moment
 of impact. They think: we've seen this before...did we miss it the
 first time? We ~live~ here, don't we? The fall is played over again
 in slow motion, close, closer, the wind in the child's hair, then the
 terror in her face, her eyes, the instant her head explodes. Every
 image is so clean, so crisp, so beautiful; the technology has
 advanced considerably since Zapruder. Since Baby Jessica and even
 Baghdad. Freeze frame, each shot is meticulously superimposed on its
 simulation for instant comparison; and they are the same - screen and
 fall, child and spectator, concrete and blood. And the mass of
 watchers blinks and stupidly stares until finally it too totters and
 falls, into the screen of the catastrophe, and disappears.

 Escape and Capture
 ------------------

 Arthur Kroker used to refer to American media culture as a
 "civilization in recline" (Kroker and Weinstein 1994:41; also Kroker
 and Cook 1986:266ff.). The image was certainly apt. The perfect icon
 for a bored, exhausted, and utterly "removed" American public on the
 eve of the twenty-first century was someone in the classic Lazy-Boy
 position, ~captured~ by the TV screen, oblivious to anything around
 him (or her) beyond what flickered before his eyes between trips to
 the refrigerator. This picture, however, seemed to contradict another
 one of Kroker's - that of ~panic America~, neo-fascist and
 hyper-paranoid, obsessed with death, haunted by the body and its
 unruly fluids, and using whatever means to ~escape~ (Kroker 1989;
 Kroker and Kroker 1987). Now we don't normally associate panic with
 TV-induced catatonia. But in fact, as Kroker well knew, the two
 scenes were intimately and even essentially connected. The
 television, of course, is both the perfect means of capture and the
 perfect escape device. Its logic has become even more pervasive with
 the advent of the computer, which is now in the process of absorbing
 it. McLuhan (1964) was the first to realize that physical capture (or
 immobilization) does not prohibit, and indeed ~smoothes~, the active
 neural integration of the subject into the medium (cf. also Bogard
 2000). This is the whole pleasure - and terror - of television; it
 induces flight to the same extent it leaves the body behind in "sleep
 mode." TV is a ~panic release technology~ that operates by dividing
 the body and removing all the parts superfluous for experience. It
 "releases" experience in the same paradoxical way the woman in our
 story is released, through a kind of habituation (we'll have more to
 say about this in relation to Benjamin's theory of distraction
 later). What has changed since TV has met its virtual nemesis in the
 computer is certainly the intensity of that integration; perhaps it
 even portends a qualitative shift. Baudrillard (1985; 1983a; 1983b)
 imagines a time when the masses are integrated entirely into the
 media, and the media into them, as in the scene of the falling child,
 where the difference between capture and escape is meaningless - a
 seamless integration/habituation of technology and the subject.
 Someday all you'll need is a brain, if that (!). In the same way, a
 "recliner civilization" dreams of infinite worlds summoned at the
 throw of a switch (the ingestion of a pill, the modification of a
 gene). It imagines merging, body and soul, with the system of digital
 codes, a time when, without going anywhere, it can live and ~be~ the
 images on its screen. When it can disappear.

 These ideas can serve as approximate entry points to a study of
 distraction. This is because distraction is a logic of escape and
 capture. To distract something is to elude its clutches; but also, as
 a consequence, to now clutch ~it~, secretly and from behind. These
 qualities of clutching, elusion, of escape and capture, are what make
 distraction and its related strategies - simulation, disappearance,
 removal - games of ~power~. When we speak about the power of the
 digital media, we see lines of escape and capture everywhere - mass
 distraction truly is the ~order~ of the day. This is not a moral
 judgement. We assume this has both good and bad sides. Nor is it to
 claim that our age is any more distracted than any other. There is no
 reason to think that print is any less distracting than electronic
 media, or that modern forms of spectacle distract the masses more
 than ancient ones. Every society re-invents its own regimes of
 distraction. Every culture develops its own methods of mobilizing
 (and immobilizing) the masses.

 This way of speaking, however, is already too narrowly sociological.
 Distraction is hardly just a social, or even human, condition.
 Animals can be distracted, and so can non-living things - geological
 processes can be described in this way, as I'll suggest below. But
 this also means that distraction is not a state of consciousness,
 e.g., attention or inattention. Shifts of attention or consciousness
 may certainly be ~produced~ by distractions, but they are not
 identical with them.

 It means, too, that distraction doesn't require a subject, although a
 subject could be one its effects. Kroker's "recliner" is a subject of
 distraction only in the sense that its body occupies a space where
 multiple lines of escape and capture converge and diverge. The
 ~material~ scene of distraction is what's important - the proximate
 relations of body parts (brain, hands, eyes) to the screen, the
 design and engineering components of the console (inputs,
 through-puts, outputs), the entire material infrastructure -
 mathematical, molecular, technological, socio-cultural - of the flow
 of information. ~You~ do not watch TV, Baudrillard says, TV watches
 you (Baudrillard 1983a:53). Or rather, it ~removes~ you, takes you
 away, "subtracts" you from your surroundings. It is on this material
 scene or territory of removal that consciousness is produced and
 consumed.

 To note this extra-human dimension of distraction is in no way to
 deny that it is one of the elemental features of human experience. In
 countless forms, it is implicated in the production of life's
 pleasures (the French meaning of the term is close to "entertainment"
 or pleasurable "diversion") as well as its irritations and dangers
 (the English word can convey the idea that distraction is something
 hazardous, as in the case of being distracted while driving a car or
 crossing the street). If we could limit its manifestation to living
 forms - and we cannot - we could even make the case that distraction
 is a ~condition of survival~, that the struggle for existence
 absolutely depends on finding, managing and adapting to means of
 escape and capture (for example, for many predatory animals, and even
 many plants, distraction is an essential means of procuring food, or
 avoiding becoming food).

 Despite the fact that distraction is everywhere in experience, it is
 not at all difficult to imagine a world without distraction. Such an
 idea is in fact the norm if we consider it from the point of view of
 social control. Institutions like the Church, the State, markets,
 even the mass media, generally do not tolerate distraction, at least
 when it fosters neglect of duty or responsibility. In Catholic
 theology, for example, a world without distraction is one where
 nothing disturbs one's prayers to God - distractions, such as
 uncontrolled or impure thoughts, are a sign of man's imperfection and
 inherent sinfulness. For bureaucracy, it is a world of dutiful,
 law-abiding, on-time citizens; for the school, a classroom of focused
 and docile students; for Capital, a shop of committed workers. The
 television and advertising industries, even as they deal wholesale in
 distraction themselves - e.g., by sexualizing images of commodities -
 desire watchful, undistracted viewers.

 In fact, ~all~ these institutions develop and perfect their own
 methods of distraction. They become, to use a phrase of Deleuze and
 Guattari's, "apparatuses of capture," seeking in their different ways
 to control movement, order desire and belief, and translate them into
 habits (Deleuze and Guattari 1987:424ff.). How do religion, Capital,
 and the State capture their objects? Simple. They generate what
 appear as lines of escape or removal, as exits, outs, passages, and
 so on: you too can escape from divine retribution (through the
 passages of prayer, sacrifice, and confession); escape from work
 (through money); escape from power (through prestige). The
 authorities, like ~trappers~, know that the lure of escape is usually
 the most powerful apparatus of capture. Money, prestige, indulgences,
 sex, these are all traps at the same time as they are means of
 flight. Although institutional power does not tolerate distraction
 when it threatens to become unruly - and here distraction ~is~
 conceived morally - distraction is its single most valuable tool.
 Often, it prepares the way for the use of force, as when the police
 employ it before making an arrest (the sting operation), but
 sometimes it can also eliminate the need for force. In an important
 sense, the distracted object (or subject) has already surrendered to
 power - it does not ~see~ power or in any way sense its closeness,
 thus power can operate behind its back, reserving force for the times
 when distraction itself threatens to wrest the object from its grasp
 (parents sometimes use TV to occupy their children's time and create
 some free space for themselves, but it is a strategy that often
 backfires, as the TV becomes the more powerful apparatus of capture).

 We already sense that power, at least institutional power, does not
 fully control the forces of distraction. In fact, distraction is a
 principle that ~rivals~ power. The authorities not only fear losing
 control ~over~ distraction, they fear losing control ~to~ it. A
 distracted mass, potentially, owes nothing, not even its life, to
 power, and the most dangerous groups are always those that could care
 less about power, i.e., that are too distracted to care about their
 own survival. As we shall see later, the means of distraction are
 also those of power's ~annulment~. Distraction is what seduces power;
 power can lose itself there, break into a million pieces, or scatter
 in a hundred directions. But that does not mean distraction, as a
 political strategy, can always save us from power, either, that it
 can always be used to overturn power. Such dreams only mask a more
 elaborate picture of an unstable mixture of forces and materials. We
 take seriously Deleuze and Guattari's rule that no strategy once and
 for all can serve as a guide for praxis. The truth is that as quickly
 as distraction opens a line of flight, it also opens a line of death
 - such is the nature of logics of escape and capture, which for all
 their strategic character always involve indeterminacy, a measure of
 luck.

 So we don't ask if distraction is a good or bad thing - a question
 more for the authorities anyway - but rather if it can serve to map
 the dynamics of various and sundry social processes - wars and
 militaristic maneuvers, rituals, the emergence of hierarchies,
 population shifts, market and currency movements, and so on. Can we
 view things like the evolution of material culture, in particular
 digital mass media, through the theoretical lens of distraction? Is
 it possible, more generally, to understand relations of power
 themselves as effects of distraction? If so, it will be in terms of
 logics (and paths) of escape and capture.

 Distraction Machines
 --------------------

 Here we are interested mainly in how distraction functions on the
 sociocultural and technical planes, but we will often use the term
 more broadly to refer to a "machinic assemblage" composed of variable
 matters and relations of force. Following the lead of Guattari
 (1995:33), we do not intend "machines" in either mechanistic or
 vitalist terms. He develops a machinism that does not reduce the idea
 of a machine to a simple construction ~partes extra partes~ or
 assimilate it to living beings (or living beings to it). Guattari's
 model also differs in certain fundamental respects from the
 cybernetic notion of the machine as a feedback mechanism, and with
 philosophical notions of techne that link its function to an
 ontological ground of "unmasking," as in Heidegger (1977). Throughout
 all these positions, he proposes a concept of "machinic
 heterogenesis" that would attempt to view the machine not in its
 various limited aspects, but in its complex totality, in its
 "technological, social, semiotic and axiological avatars," as well as
 in its operations in nature. His project, which we can only mention
 in passing here, involves a basic rethinking of the general idea of a
 machine in terms of ~differential flows of matter and energy~, for
 example as processes of dispersion and concentration, stretching and
 compaction, intensification and dissipation, friction and smoothing,
 etc. (cf. also Guattari 1996; Bogard 2000). Machines are
 "assemblages" of other machines, which are themselves composed of
 further machines, in the manner of fractals, to use a mathematical
 image. Machinic assemblages bring together machines that may differ
 dramatically in nature (geophysical machines, biochemical machines,
 technical machines, social machines, desiring machines, concept
 machines), and combine them in an organized, consistent fashion. Such
 heterogeneously composed but organized structures are spontaneously
 generated and destroyed by what he and Deleuze (1987:141-48, 510-14)
 call "abstract machines" or diagrams,[1] which impart form to
 variable flows, or again, break their form apart and down. Machinic
 assemblages do not depend on the actions or intentions of human
 subjects (which are themselves a collection of differently composed
 machines). Rather, they form and dissolve "autocatalytically," as
 effects of their own dynamics (cf. De Landa 1997:62; 1989; cf. also
 Maturana and Varela 1992).

 This, anyway, is the general frame in which we intend to view
 distraction. Distraction is not an effect of the subject, but a
 self-organizing machinic assemblage that channels and sorts flows of
 differently composed matters into relatively consistent layers, much
 like we see in natural processes of sedimentation and stratification.
 Our first rule in this investigation is that we must consider
 distraction in its ~geological~ (or meteorological) as much as its
 sociological manifestations, in the language of changing pressures,
 heats, and speeds (Deleuze and Guattari 1994, 1987). What is meant by
 this is not that the former can serve as metaphors for social
 processes, as for example when we use terms like social "strata" or
 social "currents," but rather that both share a common diagram or
 abstract machine. De Landa (1997:58) notes, for instance, that it is
 a different thing to say, as Marxists once did, that "class struggle
 is the motor of history," than to say "a hurricane is a steam motor."
 While the first example is clearly a metaphorical usage, the second
 is not. In the second case what is claimed is that "hurricanes embody
 the same diagram used by engineers to build steam motors - both
 refer, for instance, to reservoirs of heat, thermal differences, and
 circulations of energy and matter. Is it possible, De Landa asks, to
 find a diagram (or abstract machine) that operates across geological,
 meteorological and social formations? Over the last several decades,
 chaos theory has proposed a language that perhaps makes such a
 convergence possible (cf. Prigogine 1984; Gliek 1987). The ways in
 which ordered structures or flows emerge from chaos may be the same
 across fields with formally different contents. More, chaos theory
 examines processes of self-structuration (or autocatalysis) and
 suggests that they may not be exclusive to living materials, but may
 extend to inorganic processes as well, such as the formation chemical
 clocks, veins of minerals in the earth, cyclonic movements in the
 atmosphere, etc., raising the possibility that more than analogies
 may exist between natural and social phenomena. All this fits in well
 with much of what we have already indicated regarding Guattari's
 machinism.

 "Distraction" of course is not a theoretical concept in geology. But
 we can ask alternatively whether it makes sense to describe
 geological processes in terms of escape and capture. De Landa
 (1997:60) once again suggests that certain geologic structures like
 strata beneath the ocean floor may be a function of ~sorting~
 mechanisms that separate differently sized materials into relatively
 homogeneous size-groups before depositing them in layers. Rivers, for
 example, are recognized by geologists as one such sorting mechanism,
 moving groups of smaller rocks faster, larger rocks slower, in
 bundles of differentially paced lines of flow. It makes sense to
 describe these dynamic mechanisms as systems of escape and capture
 (certain rock sizes are "passed" quickly in the sorting process,
 others are held back in the flow). Another example of such mechanisms
 at the geological level might be the ways volcanic flows organize
 surface features of the earth's crust as a function of different
 speeds of deposition.

 Chaos theory suggests that such dynamic systems are nonlinear,
 nonequilibrial, and self-regulated. The question is whether the same
 sorting diagrams can be located in the social and cultural spheres,
 despite vast differences in form of content from geological
 structures. De Landa (1997: 257ff.) believes this to be so, referring
 to "slowing down" or "hardening" (crystallization) processes in the
 formation of normative social structures, where the production of
 those structures refers not simply to human decisions but, for
 example, to how those decisions follow from spontaneous changes in
 rates of flow of food, money, bodily fluids, etc. Social structures,
 in this view, are seen in terms of relative speeds of mixtures of
 different kinds of materials undergoing sorting and crystallization
 processes. Formal social hierarchies run at relatively slow or fixed
 speeds, generally by force of habit, compared with more fluid,
 improvised groupings that De Landa (p. 32) calls "meshworks." In
 terms of speed, the difference between a hierarchy and a meshwork is
 like that between a solid and a liquid, or a liquid and a gas - both
 move, but at different rates. Alternatively, we might characterize
 one movement as molar (large-scale), the other as molecular (cf.
 Guattari and Alliez 1984). We do not have to "humanize" these ideas
 to apply them to the social sphere. In fact, they allow us to view
 "human being" as a variable organization of differently paced flows
 of matter and energy. To be "really" human, as excluded groups in any
 social order know well, means to have the right flow of blood,
 currency and equipment, to bear the right series of distinguishing
 marks (eye color, skin color, hair color), maintain the proper
 rhythms, habits, routines, and so on (cf. Guattari 1996:95-108;
 1995:1-32; 1992; also Lingis 1994).

 We don't ask who organizes these flows, but rather what machines
 inaugurate a change of state, what ~thresholds~ are crossed and how
 (e.g., from a liquid to a gas, from non-human to human, from
 uncoordinated individuals to a pack, as in animal groups, or from
 non-social to social aggregates); where certain flows break off from
 or reconnect with others (steam flows, or the places where the pack
 splits off from the larger group (cf. Canetti 1960:93-124). Such
 thresholds, in the case of liquids to gasses, refer to specific
 heats. In animal groups, they may involve caloric levels, densities,
 carrying capacities, etc., which above or below certain limits may
 provoke organized action. Again, what matters in the immediate
 context is that we can conceptualize all this in terms of escape and
 capture, and from there as various forms of distraction.

 Before leaving these ideas, we need to reiterate the importance of
 ~speed~ as a mechanism of escape and capture (Virilio 1986; cf. also
 Der Derian 1990). In the old military formula, either you're "quick
 or your dead" (Munro 1991). Speed is also a sorting function. It is
 by virtue of their relative speeds that elements in a mixture,
 whether geological or social, sort themselves into distinct flows. In
 this way of viewing things, the "escape velocity" of objects has as
 much meaning in the social as the natural sphere, i.e., if it makes
 sense to describe as social the operations through which bodies are
 captured and sorted into homogeneous groupings which are made to flow
 at similar rates of speed. Foucault (1979), for example, does not
 describe the prison in "institutional" or bureaucratic terms - viz.,
 as systems of abstract rules and fixed relations of authority - but
 as spaces of bodies organized around the homogenization and
 routinization of specific flows (again, of food, waste, tasks,
 information). Certain flows are slowed down (i.e., hardened) in
 specific locations and during specified times, others are speeded up
 - prison routine is the outcome of relatively paced lines of
 movement. Foucault often writes of the importance of architectural
 arrangements in determining the organization of bodies in prisons,
 specifically as they affect conditions of perception. But alongside
 this Foucault also gives us a kind of "geomorphology" of the
 penitentiary that is at the same time a depiction of its social order
 from the point of view of controlling rates of material flows, that
 is, a model of relative speeds, thinnings and thickenings, gravity
 sinks and acceleration points, capture and escape. ~Perception is
 organized via the channeling of flows in engineered space~. But this
 is precisely nothing more than a definition of distraction. (We will
 return to these points below in our discussion of Walter Benjamin.)

 We should further note, to anticipate our remarks below, that an
 important effect of speed is ~stealth~. In social terms, we cannot
 ignore the fact that distraction is a strategy of disappearance or
 invisibility. Distraction allows a second event to take place behind
 or "to the side of" the first one - it enables a close approach. The
 classic pickpocket scheme is an example, provided we are willing to
 characterize it, not in terms of the diversion of the mark's
 attention or consciousness, but as series of flows, subtractions and
 interruptions, slowings-down and speedings-up. Not attention, but
 rather, "one hand moves faster than another to the pocket, a mark is
 subtracted from his money." To capture or elude a thing by stealth is
 to move at a different rate - to fall behind the thing, to outpace
 it, to approach it transversally, as with predatory animals or their
 prey (keeping in mind that both predator and prey draw upon the same
 set of strategies). Virilio (1991; 1989; 1986; 1983) has intensively
 studied the connections between speed and strategies of
 disappearance, their relations in politics, war, and modern
 telecommunications systems, and outlined their internal relation to
 power. The power to capture one's enemies by stealth may involve
 making them look where they shouldn't, but that often translates into
 moving faster. In the same way, the power to elude one's predator by
 stealth is, in some cases, to move slower (standing still as it
 passes, falling back). The assemblages that best regulate relative
 speeds, in the social sphere at least, are also the ones that are
 usually the most stealthy - those that order the flows of traffic,
 money, sex, food, information. Like Foucault (1980:92-102), we have
 to look not just for specific "agencies" within society that enforce
 laws relating to speed - e.g., the police - but to "impersonal
 strategies" and criss-crossing lines of force, to open and closed
 pathways, acceleration points, bottlenecks, regions of stretching and
 contraction, and so on. The central role of the image of the
 Panopticon in Foucault's (1979:195ff.) history of the prison is not
 simply a matter of how it describes a complex structure of visibility
 and invisibility, but how that structure emerges through minute
 adjustments of speed that supply the prison's specific "texture" of
 activity (the prison is a "hard" social space indeed, but one where
 certain flows may periodically escape - riots, streams of contraband,
 drugs, etc.).

 Perhaps we can begin to glimpse from these reflections new ways to
 develop the idea of distraction as a social-machinic assemblage, and
 perhaps from there suggest a different way of viewing its importance
 in the production of contemporary culture ("recliner culture").
 Distraction is a machinery that generates differential rates of flow
 of matter and energy. It is an "abstract" machine in the sense that
 it coordinates elements circulating on very different planes of
 intelligibility (geological, meteorological, biochemical,
 sociological, political). It opens lines of escape and capture, of
 approach and invisibility. This machinery leaves behind ~deposits~ of
 various sorts, hardenings or thickenings (sediments, strata, scars),
 but it can also generate, within these structures, liquid or gaseous
 conditions, zones of turbulence.[2] Distraction, in one sense, may
 even describe a crucial event in all self-organizing processes, i.e.,
 the production of ~singularities~. It is singularities that initiate
 changes of flow and the emergence of qualitatively new states -
 things like bifurcation points, thresholds, pinch points, edges,
 holes and cracks, strange attractors. A distraction, in its deepest
 sense, ~is~ a singularity, and not simply in terms of an event that
 draws one's attention because of its rarity or uniqueness, but an
 event that ~because~ of its rarity and uniqueness causes a flow to
 break away, to subtract itself, from a mass of materials to which it
 had formerly adhered. Distraction generates, to refer this again back
 to Deleuze and Guattari, a ~multiplicity~. One is only a member of a
 multiplicity, they say, via subtraction, as N-1 (1987:6). Distraction
 is what subtracts one from a collection to create a multiplicity - it
 is what causes the lone individual to break away from the randomness
 of a milling crowd and generate a "pack," the unique event that pulls
 a particle off-track and causes other particles to follow. It is in
 this sense above all a ~gravitational~ force before it is a conscious
 one.

 "To distract" literally means "to draw in different directions" or
 "to pull apart," and we will feel free to exploit all the rich
 connotations of these terms. While "to draw" has the gravitational
 sense we just assigned to it, we will also pay close attention to its
 ~graphical~ meaning. To distract something is to ~mark~ it, and
 thereby make it vulnerable. A distraction creates a target; it makes
 a thing ~traceable~. Sun Tzu (1963:90-101, 142-49), in _The Art of
 War_, lists the military benefits of distracting an enemy - it
 dislodges him, isolates him from his main forces; he is marked by his
 very separation and thus rendered visible and open to attack. For Sun
 Tzu, it is a matter of one's superior use of the landscape, the
 exploitation of pinch points and higher ground along the route of
 march, the strategic employment of diversions of all sorts (false
 information, double agents, etc.).

 Foucault's analysis of Panoptic power, again, is full of allusions to
 spatial and temporal devices that distract the subject and thus allow
 for his more efficient control "from another direction." In Foucault,
 power often operates through the creation of a host of "blind spots"
 and lighted spaces, structural devices for keeping the prisoner under
 surveillance and occupied with everything but the real lines of his
 capture, which always intersect him from the side or behind his back.
 In that sense, to distract is not only to reveal the prisoner-enemy,
 ~but to make the object that distracts disappear~. That is, we must
 also consider the reverse graphical function of distraction, viz., to
 unmark or erase. The first rule of disappearance is always to create
 a diversion, hence its importance as a strategic tool not only in war
 but in magic (and, we'll see, in electronic media, which has elements
 of both). This happens through a process of bifurcation or breaking
 apart: the magician makes an object disappear by a double movement
 that separates it from a set of objects of which it had formerly been
 a member. One movement creates a zone of intensity to divert the
 spectator's eye, the other whisks the object away, the two lines, one
 of capture (the eye), one of escape (the "erased" object), separated
 by a singularity, the distraction, that pulls in different directions
 at the same time. In Foucault, if power operates imperceptibly, it is
 because it initiates this double flow of escape and capture - we
 should not forget that Foucault's concept of power relations includes
 their resistance - and this is possible only through the organization
 of elaborate machineries of distraction, means of dividing perceptual
 space (and time), technologies of dispersion, of pulling apart,
 splitting, breaking off, etc. If we conceive of mass media in terms
 of distraction, we are essentially asking how it functions in all
 these diverse ways - as a force of gravitation, as a means of making
 visible or traceable (surveillance), and as a machinery of erasure or
 unmarking.

 Distraction in an Age of Mechanical Reproduction

 Let us now examine the matter more closely, as it relates to the
 question of social control and cultural patterning, with an eye to
 contemporary electronic media as distraction assemblages. Before
 proceeding, however, we must give two qualifications:

 First, despite its ubiquitousness and its character as an abstract
 machine, there is no universal or unitary mode of distraction.
 Politically and culturally, it is useless to talk about distraction
 in a global sense. It is characterized rather, as we have seen, by
 its singularities and bifurcations, by the concrete mixtures of
 heterogeneous elements it coordinates. Although its lines intersect
 with those of human decision, belief and desire, distraction, we have
 said, is not "human." If anything, "human being," the "subject," the
 "person," the "individual," "consciousness," "attention" - all these
 things are so many effects of distraction, which is not to deny their
 strategic role in how distraction games play out in a given society.
 Again, distractions manifest themselves as zones of turbulence where
 flows of matter and energy are intensified or dissipated, where
 disjunctions occur and new structures emerge. In society they may
 often appear as the expression of intentional choices, but this would
 be to seriously misunderstand their chaotic nature - the production
 of singular events, the unpredictable bifurcation of lines. We are
 not looking for essences here; it is the actual mixtures that are
 interesting and constitute the dynamics of distraction.

 Second, we will not define distraction as a social or cultural
 totality. There is no "society or culture of distraction," as if
 society was only this and nothing else. It is one among many traits
 of contemporary media culture. As we have indicated, it has
 oppressive and liberating qualities, often both simultaneously. You
 can be distracted by the police, but the police can be distracted,
 too. It is possible that everyone in a given society is distracted in
 a certain way, though unlikely (Kroker's recliner is undoubtedly only
 a convenient fiction to draw attention to a more complex state of
 affairs).

 Finally, although distraction seems to explain certain relations of
 activity (or inactivity) in a population in an external way, in fact
 it is immanent to them. For an investigation into the social
 organization of distraction, we should look, following Foucault again
 on this point, to the concrete relations themselves to discover the
 distraction in them rather than invent a principle that occupies a
 space below or outside them. Distraction manifests itself in
 innumerable scenes of escape and capture, traps, ruses, surprises,
 catastrophes, encirclements, blockages. We must not turn all this
 into a "theory" of distraction, but examine it, as Foucault says,
 from the point of view of its political anatomy, the ways it
 distributes bodies and coordinates their movements.

 Walter Benjamin (1968:217-251), in The _Work of Art in the Age of
 Mechanical Production_, is really the first to raise the question
 about the role of distraction in societies dominated by the mass
 media. Typically, he does not frame this question as a matter of
 attention, but in terms of how a population, or rather a mass,
 distributes itself in relation to material culture, in this case to
 technologies of aesthetic reproduction. As we shall see, Benjamin
 locates the problem of distraction in its connection to the formation
 of ~habits~, not to a state of consciousness. Specifically, he asks
 how art integrates or is integrated into the performance of routine
 but socially necessary tasks. Whereas the traditional work of art
 perhaps demanded thoughtful contemplation on the part of an
 individual spectator, modern mass-produced art, most paradigmatically
 film for Benjamin, is appropriated not by engaged individuals but by
 the masses in a mode of distraction. Benjamin noted that it was
 commonplace in his time to hear social critics lament the masses'
 distraction and blame the cinema or other elements of mass culture
 for promoting it. We still hear this charge leveled in various
 quarters today, typically from the moral Right, not just against
 Hollywood but against media in general. Whatever its morality,
 however, the relation between distraction and aesthetic media is not
 a new situation according to Benjamin, and demands a closer
 investigation.

 Since earliest times, the most important case of the connection
 between distraction and art involves the social appropriation of
 architecture, which generally functions not as an object of
 contemplation (except perhaps for tourists), but as a
 taken-for-granted background of human activity (p. 240). It is not
 simply the fact that architecture is seen but rarely thematized as
 people go about their daily business that constitutes the meaning of
 distraction for Benjamin. The masses appropriate architecture not
 just visually, but ~tactilely~. In an important sense, tactile
 appropriation is not just another mode of reception on par with
 visual or optical appropriation. Rather, Benjamin argues, it
 constitutes the conditions of possibility for the latter, in the
 sense that habitualized behaviors which develop around the use of
 dwelling spaces, as routinized practices, ~organize perception~.
 Architectural arrangements, in the social as much as the physical
 sense, determine what can and cannot be seen. We should remind
 ourselves again of Foucault's analysis of the prison here. Insofar as
 these arrangements control the conditions of perception, they foster
 routinized forms of behavior. The prisoner in Foucault's Panopticon
 unconsciously regulates his own behavior and is thus perfectly
 predictable. He becomes a creature of habit to the extent that he
 does not see the real lines of power that control him, i.e., by
 virtue of the fact that he is distracted in and by the relation to
 the ordered spaces in which he finds himself, and in which he must
 function. Let us return to how Benjamin describes it (240):

      "Buildings are appropriated in a twofold manner: by use and by
      perception - or rather, by touch and sight. Such appropriation
      cannot be understood in terms of the attentive concentration of
      a tourist before a famous building. On the tactile side there is
      no counterpart to contemplation on the optical side. Tactile
      appropriation is accomplished not so much by attention as by
      habit. As regards architecture, habit determines to a large
      extent even optical reception. The latter, too, occurs much less
      through rapt attention than by noticing the object in incidental
      fashion."

 That is, as a function of distraction. Despite Benjamin's fall back
 into the language of consciousness ("noticing the object in
 incidental fashion"), it is clear that distraction has a far wider
 political sense for him.[3] It is, in a word, a means of ~training~.
 Even, and perhaps especially, when art is appropriated in a mode of
 distraction, it exercises a "covert control over the extent to which
 new tasks have become soluble by apperception," i.e., through the
 adjustment of the conditions of perception, through architectures of
 visibility and invisibility. "Since, moreover" Benjamin continues,
 "individuals are tempted to avoid such tasks [for example, those
 necessary for the reproduction of Capital], art will tackle the most
 difficult and important ones where it is able to mobilize the
 masses," where it can convert those tasks into habits. In our terms,
 this is a view of art as, potentially, a means of capture. Benjamin
 sees this potential existing not only in modern film, but
 increasingly as an imperative behind all mass produced art whose
 reception, like architecture, becomes a matter of distraction.

 Habits are not just subjective states or psychological structures.
 They involve the initiation of repetitive flows, the construction and
 placement of material blocks, obstacles, corrective devices; the
 partitioning of space; the functionalization of time, and the
 normalization of specific behavioral trajectories. They are
 "hardenings" or "contractions" of activity, sedimentations and
 stratifications of planes of conduct, condensations of matter and
 energy.[4] But they can also be "softenings"- one only forms new
 habits, after all, by breaking old ones. The distracted person could
 just as easily fall into bad as good habits, from the authorities'
 point of view. In prisons, as in workshops, schools, homes, etc.,
 distractions always threaten to divert flows away from their desired
 (moral) ends and must therefore be rigorously controlled. Hence, a
 whole system of rules and practices evolves around their strategic
 placement - a wall is erected to keep the eyes from straying (the
 worker's cubicle), an opening closed to prevent any leakage to or
 from the outside (the locked door). Temperatures are adjusted to
 insure maximum peak performance (climate control), pressures are
 adjusted relative to threshold values to guarantee that distraction
 will smoothly and predictably serve the interests of power
 (deadlines, quotas, production schedules, grading and ranking schema,
 etc., so many forms of pressure). All of these in themselves
 constitute "capture-distractions," but only in the sense that they
 attempt to short-circuit "escape-distractions." One must assemble a
 distraction machine that develops the right repetitions, the "good"
 habits, and disassemble those machines that generate the bad
 repetitions, the habits that upset the power structure, which is to
 say, the dominant system of distractions (Regarding this, the droning
 and "distracting" mantras of one's parents - don't eat between meals,
 be in bed by ten, do your homework before watching TV, pick up your
 room... And do this without being told, make it your routine. Don't
 fall into bad habits. On and on. How many of these repetitive flows
 are channeled around one's living space, one's negotiation of
 passageways, open and closed doors, in short, one's ~habitat?~).[5]

  Notes
 -----

 [1] The term "diagram" is used by Foucault in _Discipline and Punish_
 (1979) to describe the organization of the modern prison not in terms
 of a rational schema, but as a consistent space of differently
 composed matters, some architectural, some imported from military,
 educational or religious institutions, some linguistic, etc. The
 diagram, which he formulates under the broad heading of "discipline,"
 is not unique to one field or plane, but organizes qualitatively
 different fields in similar ways (the school, the barracks, the
 asylum, etc. - all effect disciplinary regimes in their specific
 characteristic arrangements) (Cf. also Deleuze [1988:34] on
 Foucault's use of "diagram."

 [2] Again, we are trying not to speak metaphorically. The phenomenon
 of crowd formation, for example, could be considered from the
 standpoint of chaos theory as the spontaneous organization of
 turbulence, i.e., the self organization of flows of heterogeneous
 elements breaking out from within relatively hardened structures.
 Canetti's (1960) work, to which we have already alluded, is important
 in this regard as it relates to the movement of packs. Bill Buford's
 book _Among the Thugs_ (1992) offers an interesting and important
 interpretation of crowd behavior in terms of "threshold" events
 (sudden noises, concentration and density limits, spontaneous
 breakaways of atomic elements that initiate collective movements,
 etc.). We could easily call such initiatory events "distractions."

 [3] Percepts, according to Deleuze and Guattari (1994:163-199), are
 not mental states of a subject, but power arrangements,
 desiring-machines, etc. Again, insofar as distraction involves
 perception, it is in the sense of organizing its conditions, i.e.,
 its material environment.

 [4] Cf. Deleuze (1994:70-82) on the notion of habit as contraction.

 [5] Of course, the work of Bourdieu (1977) is central here, though
 his work remains "sociological" in the narrow sense, rather than
 "machinic."

 Editor's note: Part 2 of "Distraction and Digital Culture" will be
 published next week.
 William Bogard is a Professor of Sociology at Whitman College in
 Washington, and is currently writing a book about smoothing machines.

 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology
 *   and culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews
 *   in contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 *   theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Bruce Sterling (Austin),
 *   R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Siegfried Zielinski (Koeln),
 *   Stelarc (Melbourne), Richard Kadrey (San Francisco),
 *   Timothy Murray (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson
 *   (San Francisco), Stephen Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross
 *   (New York), David Cook (Toronto), William Leiss (Kingston),
 *   Shannon Bell (Downsview/York), Gad Horowitz (Toronto),
 *   Sharon Grace (San Francisco), Robert Adrian X (Vienna),
 *   Deena Weinstein (Chicago), Michael Weinstein (Chicago),
 *   Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
 *   Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson (Sweden).
 *
 * Editorial Assistant: Grayson Cooke
 * World Wide Web Editor: Carl Steadman

                To view CTHEORY online please visit:
                      http://www.ctheory.com/

             To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
                    http://ctheory.concordia.ca/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * CTHEORY is sponsored by New World Perspectives and Concordia
 *   University.
 *
 * No commercial use of CTHEORY articles without permission.
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, Concordia University, 1455
 *   de Maisonneuve, O., Montreal, Canada, H3G 1M8.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI,
 *   Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale
 *   Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 *   Documentation politique international; Sociological
 *   Abstract Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political
 *   Science and Government; Canadian Periodical Index;
 *   Film and Literature Index.