RE: the state of the caribbean

Virgil Storr <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:59:49 -0400

text/plain

You raise some interesting points, one in particular i wanna question.

you said, "The Caribbean governments need to perform like the managers
that they are supposed to be: Haven't they ever
heard that entrepreneurs need to be risk takers???"

an "entrepreneurial government" and a "risk taking government" both seem
like oxymorons to me. governments (or i should say people working for
government) and entrepreneurs have different incentive systems facing
them. politicians succeed by increasing either the size of their pockets
or the length of their tenure (neither imply being risky and neither
motive suggests that they should be entrepreneurial, at least in the way
you and i would use the term). similarly, public servants despite the
name are rewarded with more power, prestige and money for increasing the
size of their budgets and their bureaucracies. again the payoff is not
in finding and funding successful enterprises but something entirely
different.

only real entrepreneurs (private business men and women) are actually
rewarded (with higher profits and greater sales) for doing what the
society wants.

isn't it somewhat colonial to believe that its up to government to
direct the economy in ways that we would want it to? why do we believe
that it would want to? and even if it did want to, could it?

kihika

Virgil Henry Storr
Department of Economics
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
Email: [log in to unmask]

"Have you ever wondered to yourself why it is that all people like me
seem to have learned from you is how to imprison and murder each other,
how to govern badly, and how to take wealth of our country and place it
in Swiss bank accounts? Have you ever wondered why it is that all we
seemed to have learned from you is how to corrupt our societies and how
to be tyrants? You will have to accept that this is mostly your fault."
(Jamaica Kincaid, A Small Place)