ADMIN-PLANNING  2000

ADMIN-PLANNING 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The Times Good University Guide 2002

Judy Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:24:42 +0000 (GMT)

TEXT/PLAIN

Thanks Helen for that clarification (I see subject codes and I
automatically think of HESA!). However, as you say, there is
surely no reason why the same disaggregation of data cannot be
provided to Mayfield University Consultants by UCAS - clearly
UCAS engage in some sort of analysis on those lines when they
produce the summary subject tables in the Annual Report. As Gary
Smith from UCL pointed out, failure to recognise joint degrees
will seriously disadvantage institutions where they make up a
substantial, if not major, part of their UG provision (as is the
case at UNL).

I am copying Dr Kingston and Andrew Hindmarsh into the full set
of this particular correspondence strand, as well as hesa-pr
(where the invitation to consult was first posted). Like Gary
Smith, whilst I commend Mayfield University Consultants'
invitation for institutions to register specific requests for
changes, I think that this issue is too broad to be dealt with in
that way (as Helen indicates!) and a wider debate should be
encouraged.

Judy

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:19:53 +0000 Helen Rollett
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Judy and colleagues
>
> They appear to be using UCAS data for A level points, but the
> same could apply to their request to them except that I have
> never seen any report from UCAS that deals in 'assigned' half
> numbers of students on joint coded courses.  I emailed Dr
> Kingston yesterday to ask if they will accept specific
> combination codes for their consultation subject categories but
> have not had a reply yet (I don't look forward to preparing
such > lists).
> > Helen
> > Date sent:      	Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:53:50 +0000 (GMT)
> Send reply to:  	[log in to unmask] > Priority:
NORMAL > Subject:        	Re: The Times Good University
Guide 2002 > From:           	Judy Evans <[log in to unmask]>
> To:             	[log in to unmask] > Copies
to: Gary Smith <[log in to unmask]> >
> > What I fail to understand is, if Mayfield Consultants are
using > > HESA data to derive their subject tables, why can't
HESA  > > provide them with the joint data anyway? I appreciate
that > > Y-coded joint courses would be problematic but for those
coded, > > eg HH56, why can't HESA disaggregate it for them? Or
am I > missing > something here?!
> > > Judy > > > ----------------------
> > Judy Evans > Head of Management Information > > University of
North London > 166-220 Holloway Road > > London N7 8DB >
> > tel : 020 7753 5146 > fax : 020 7753 5120 > > > email :
> >
> H Rollett > Planning
> Kingston University > +020 8547 8245

Judy Evans
Head of Management Information