Get Password

RE: Introduction

Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:58:36 +0100

text/plain

Patrick,

This is indeed an involved and difficult question, and one that has no real
answer at the moment as far as I am aware at present (week 9 of a new post).
Part M of the Building Regulations is certainly not a particularly all
encompassing piece of work., it provides many unanswered issues and loopholes
for developers. In my experience the incoming Part III of the DDA will provide a
more powerful vehicle to improve access issues for all groups covered by the
definition of disability within the DDA itself. The newly launched Disability
Rights Commission (launched today) will also prove to be an invaluable ally in
enforcing Part III and could also be a powerful agent for establishing a better
system of enforcing adaptations to buildings and services. I totally agree with
you about the lack of provision for learning disabilities/difficulties and
mental and cognitive impairments, and do realise the weaknesses of the current
Building regulations in that respect. The scope of disability has, I feel, not
been taken into account when these regulations were drafted and it is only now
when rights are being explored and developed are the shortcomings becoming more
obvious.

Interestingly, some adaptations for visual impairment have had a positive effect
for people with learning disabilities: improvements in signage, making routes
clearly marked, etc. but there is a long way to go. It is something I am going
to have to address. In fact I am already developing networks here where these
issues can be identified and discussed, as there is a large community of people
with learning disabilities, autism, Down's syndrome and psychiatric difficulties
living in the locality since the closure of the local mental hospitals.

I'm sorry if I can't respond any more positively than that, and can only really
agree with you. It is an important area to consider when looking at any access
issue, and one that is built into my approach already.

Please don't hesitate to contact me on or off list to discuss this further.

Rob