ENVIROETHICS  2000

ENVIROETHICS 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Oh no! Not another mind control conspiracy . . . . was Re: One potato

Chris Lees <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:47:23 +0100

text/plain

The eminent physicist John Wheeler said, some decades ago, that
no phenomenon is a phenomenon until it is an observed phenomenon.
He was referrring to the collapse of the quantum wave by conscious
observation.
I got this on another list:
"Dr. John Fentress will show some of his extensive library of tapes,
collected over 3 decades, that reveal the strategies that we share with
wolves and what we might learn about ourselves from them as they are
reintroduced into many sections of the United States.  Wolves, far smarter
than dogs, accomplish complex social results but without the tools that
language offers or the need for human companions.  This material is
suitable for a general adult audience."
Do wolves collapse the quantum wave ? And if so, does that result in a
'wolf reality' or in an 'objective reality' ? Would they collapse it in the
same careless manner that most humans appear to do, or would a wolf's
more harmonious and discriminating relationship with being result in
a different quality of interaction with the ground of existence ? The wolf's
universe would seem to have an aspect of social construction to it. Does
the 'wolf identity' include the local habitat, landscape, as being seemlessly
incorporated into wolfness ? The distinction self/other, which possibly
was familiar to the earliest amoebae - what you want outside you and what
you want inside (your stomach) - must be clear to the wolfish mode of life,
as it seems to be to Jim. Those ancient Greeks had women and slaves to do
the work, so they could fill their bellies easily, lay back in the
Mediterranean
sunshine, adjust their shades, and contemplate their insides and outsides
in eloquent flights of fancy. The flickering images of Plato's Cave must have
passed across the faces of those seated around every campfire since the first,
hundreds of thousands of years ago. Do the presocratics assist ?
I like Heraclitus the best, but seeing as his major work is lost, anybody can
extrapolate to their heart's content. The Heraclitean foundation of Logos
has much in common with Tao, IMO. So why did Greek and Chinese thought
diverge ? so that a taoist worldview seeks harmony with Logos, whilst a
Western worldview seeks intrusive exploitation ? Was it the influence of
Sumer/Babylon/Jerusalem via Genesis and the injunction to go forth and
multiply and dominate every living thing ?

C.L.