Value, worth and quality

"Chris Perley" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:18:07 +1200

text/plain

Thanks for this John,

We agree on this - but I'd like to know what others think.  It seems to me
that there is a real issue about whether intrinsic "value" (requiring a
valuer) is a more desirable term than intrinsic (or inherent) "worth".  I
happen to accept that environmental solutions must take account of all the
functions and "parts" of an ecosystem (its qualities), which - I think -
requires some measure of ecocentrism (at least in a Leopoldian "Think like a
Mountain" sense where human perspectives are orientated some way away from
the purely anthropocentric view).  Where many people baulk at this idea of
intrinsic "value" is the lack of a "valuer" to prescribe "value" from
anything other than an anthropocentric perspective.  Why don't we just use
worth as John suggests?  It appears to be a clearer and perhaps less
problematic.  And do we need "value"?  The idea of value implies that we
think it more important to put a $(or something) "value" on something than
to recognise either that the *qualities exist* or that *they have worth in
themselves* and in relation to the ecosystem of which they are associated.

I also think that "value" is often confused with reference to "human values"
which are entirely different beasties.

Cannot think of any more arguments to get some rationalisation of
nomenclature, but others may.

Chris Perley