Alston Chase on the Unabomber

Jim Tantillo <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:01:49 -0500

text/plain

Thought this would be of interest in light of our recent discussions.  Jim

************

Associated Press State & Local Wire
June 20, 2000, Tuesday, BC cycle

Alston Chase's latest book on Unabomber explores mind of a killer
By SCOTT McMILLION, Bozeman Daily Chronicle

DATELINE: LIVINGSTON

Imagine trying to get inside the head of a serial killer, a man with a
genius level IQ, a calculating assassin generally considered insane, but a
man who for some people remains a hero despite his 17-year swath of
destruction and death.

Unlike other famous murderers, he selected victims who were all strangers,
attacking from afar in a way that was cold, impersonal, highly
intellectualized.

The killer is Theodore Kaczynski, the Unabomber, one of the most famous
people ever to live in Montana, a man serving life without parole in a
federal prison for his crimes: The mailing or delivery of 16 bombs that
killed three people and injured 23 more.

Right now, there are at least two people who want to get inside Kaczynski's
head. One of them, Paradise Valley author Alston Chase, is writing a book
about Kaczynski, which means he is working hard to figure out Kaczynski.

The other, biologist Robert Taylor, is a more reluctant student. He came to
his interest in the Unabomber the unpleasant way: He held Kaczynski's last
bomb in his hands just seconds before it exploded, driving a fatal chunk of
metal through his boss' chest, throwing him across a room and leaving him
buried in rubble.

"I live with it all the time," Taylor, of Orangevale, Calif., said of April
24, 1995, the day his office in Sacramento blew up. "I've been kind of
living in a hole, trying to come to terms with this."

Neither Chase nor Taylor knew Kaczynski before he was arrested in Lincoln,
Mont., on April 3, 1996, although both had heard about the mysterious
Unabomber, who had been leaving or mailing bombs to selected targets around
the country, later writing about them in letters to newspapers.

Taylor recalls joking about bombs as he handled Kaczynski's weapon, a
heavy, compact package about the size and weight of a motorcycle battery.

"I picked up my mail and said, 'I'm going back to my office before the bomb
goes off,"' Taylor recalled.

Then it detonated, killing Gil Murray, president of a lobbying group, the
California Forestry Association, and sending shrapnel through walls and
metal cabinets.

Chase, an Ivy League-educated philosopher and a former syndicated columnist
best known for his critiques of environmental philosophies, was a scholar
of the Unabomber long before he knew his name. He even served as a
consultant to ABC News on the subject. Then, after Kaczynski's arrest, he
found a series of uncanny parallels between their lives.

For both Chase and Taylor, who have talked often about the Unabomber,
thinking about him raises uncomfortable questions: Are there more of his
kind out there? If so, how many?

Politically inspired violence, and the language of violence, From [log in to unmask] Thu Jun 22 15:46:19 2000