ENVIROETHICS  2000

ENVIROETHICS 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

RE: Should we use something besides Wood? was [RE: Ethics of immunocontraception?]

"Chris Perley" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:16:30 +1300

text/plain

I sense we are talking past each other.  I am not at all for "demoting"
nature - quite the reverse.  And I am not against conservation forestry in
favour of commercial, profit maximising forestry - quite the reverse.  I
thought you were against ALL human involvement in forests (other than
observation).  If I was wrong, please accept my apology for the
misunderstanding.  By "disconnection" I meant that many of the earth's
people have gained the wrong idea of the environment and our essential
connection to it - economists and environmental preservationists (ie those
that advocate "no use") included.  This is a function of a number of things,
but our urbanisation would be one driver, as would our ever shortening
outlook on life that hides nature's dynamism from our consious thoughts.

I have often argued that ethics should be grounded in an understanding of
nature - of its functions as a system, and its cause and effect
relationships - as well as the human connection to it through our history.
I certainly do not accept nature as some static storehouse over which we
have some right of dominion, which (correct me if I am wrong) you appear to
presume I represent.

Chris