ENVIROETHICS  2000

ENVIROETHICS 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

RE: Should we use something besides Wood? was [RE: Ethics of immunocontraception?]

"Chris Perley" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:35:41 +1300

text/plain

Perhaps I could suggest you read some environmental history John.  I don't
mean to appear arrogant or dismissive, but you make a mistake to think that
humans are somehow incompatible with resource use of forests.  You appear to
assume that any tree removed is an evil - and necessarily harmful to the
ecosystem.  Yet dynamism is the essential defining process of any
ecosystem - stasis is an urban myth.  Without change, diversity of structure
doesn't occur.  Believe it or not we as a species are part of this planet,
and we - like other animals - are part of the cause and effect pattern that
produces this dynamism, and hence the biological diversity.  We have become
destructive because of our numbers, our dominant environmental ethic and our
technology applied with perhaps a decreasing wisdom.  The decreasing wisdom
is due - I would argue - to our growing psychological DISCONNECTION from
nature and the hence the denial of that truth of our essential association
with it (disconnection is a premise of BOTH the dominant ECONOMIC paradigms
that sees all use as "full steam ahead" benign rationality [and never mind
the horses], and the apparently reactive PRESERVATION paradigm that sees any
human involvement [other than observation] as a necessarily destructive
evil).

But the best response is not to say - stop.  It is to learn to live within
the means of the planet.  Forests are the ultimate, low-human-energy-input,
provider of renewable products - the ultimate solar power is photosynthesis
through chlorophyll - still a far better single molecule than anything any
engineer has developed.  Some would say (and I would agree) that this
molecule is the source of most life on this planet through its production of
carbon based energy.  In a human world that relies on carbon forms of energy
to a large degree, any solution that seeks to replace a renewable energy
source with a non-renewable energy source (and I am not disparaging the uses
of soil, or bricks or solar power - though I am of metals, plastics and
concrete as substitutes) is doomed to failure.  If we want to survive as a
species we need to reduce resource use and learn to live with th environment
(through the development of a consumption and land ethic, as well as popn
control), we need to restore and protect ecosystem functions, and we need to
move from a reliance on non-renewable energy sources to renewable sources.
I cannot conceive of a workable solution that didn't involve our living
within the ecosystems on this planet - and those ecosystems include forests
as one of nature's greatest gifts to us all.  You can have your aesthetic
and spiritual values as well as humanity.  IF you choose to have ONLY the
aesthetic and the spiritual, then it is a slippery slope to not having
humanity represented at all.

Chris