ENVIROETHICS  2000

ENVIROETHICS 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The Precautionary Principle--A Race to the Bottom?

Bryan Eugen Quinn <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 09 May 2000 13:56:39 -0500

text/plain

     I also notice the dangers of the precautionary principle. "pre-caution", "caution", these words merely mean to think about the future implications of a yet uncommitted action. It seems to me this principle will only cause ill effects if it is turned into a static ethical theory. the precautionary principle lives only in applied ethics, if anywhere in philosophy.
    The precautionary principle asks to be incorporated into a society or culture's environmental decision making process. It is for the sake of posterity (something we see little of in today's political debates, unfortunately). When considering the precautionary principle, it is of utmost importance to consider time scales: How far ahead are we thinking? How good of opinions do we have about our impacts in the present on the future?
     These are important questions, but they lead to a further question that is at the root of Jim's e-mail:  who should be given the power to make such decisions? Certainly we do not want just anyone judging future impacts of our actions. We want experts. But who are the experts? In our present state of diversity, this necessity of leadership based on credentials poses a difficult problem. I am reminded of the problem of elitism in Plato's philosopher kings of the Republic. I am also reminded of the benefit of the modern day republic over true democracy. Or the benefits and hindrances of private vs. public ownership (capitalism vs. communism/ communalism).
      These indeed are unsettled arguments; the world is still full of Marxists and Smithians.
      However, the precautionary principle is more a political tool than something in need of philosophical fine tuning. It asks people to judge the effects of corporate and governmental actions on our great great great grandchildren. A political tool, simple as that. I think it is perhaps meant only to open the public consciousness to a new sort of time scale that allows, for example, citizens of a boom and bust town created by natural resource extraction have the ability to tell their employer (logging, mining, fishing, et) that they want to lessen this years harvest for the sake of next year's. Or for a country to vote to greenen itself up at the sake of their present economy. The precautionary principle should never serve as an absoloute Kantian-type maxim.
Any thoughts?