ENVIROETHICS  2000

ENVIROETHICS 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

RE: Ethical Energy Investing Article {was Shaw On Life}

Ramsy Ayoub <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:57:20 +0400

text/plain

I do see how the term carbon sink would work in regard to forests..  My
knowledge of a carbon sink is something that removes or converts carbon into
an form that is not readily available to the atmosphere for long periods of
time i.e. ocean sediment etc.   The idea of using a forests as a carbon sink
is incorrect as the trees will always return the majority of carbon they
absorbed to the atmosphere especially at today's rates of deforestation.
Unless you are going to cut down the trees and store them somewhere where
they will not decay, the idea of using a forest as carbon sink would not
work.  It would just be a stop gap measure, is it not. I am sure their are a
lot better ways of spending money than on something that would have a
minimal/temporary effect.  Admittedly by increasing the areas of Forrest
their would be a net store of CO2 in the forest's but the quantity of CO2 in
the atmosphere would require great amounts of new forest's to be planted
probably covering very large area's and at the world present expansion
rate/need for agricultural land it not be possible to remove so much land
from circulation.  Even if the trees are GM it still leave the above issues
as valid as well as the uncertainty about GM effects still exists. As for
ethics, you are probably asking, I leave it up to you gent/ladies to decide
that.  If I made any invalid points please feel free to correct me. I
sincerely believe Kyoto should be tackling the problem at the source by
forcing a reduction in emission of GHG's.  Instead of pandering to the
public affections.

Ramsey Ayoub

Environmental Services Dept.
Environmental Research and Wildlife Development Agency

P.O.Box 45553
Abu Dhabi
U.A.E
Tel:  00971026934530