FW: GE 2 - chickens run amok

"Steven Bissell" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:42:31 -0700

text/plain

Well here is an entire GM article, from the anti-gm side, don't want to be
guilty of bias. One quote is most telling to me.

Greenpeace Campaigner Emma Gibson explained:
"Most people don't know that GM is still being sneaked into our food chain
by being dumped into the feed of animals like chickens. By continuing these
GM imports, Cargill is ignoring valid public concerns about the effects of
feeding GM crops to animals and the environmental risks involved in  growing
them".

Although I do have concern with GM, this approach leaves me a bit cold. Ms
Gibson speaks of "food chain" in a very concrete sense. This indicates, to
me, a fairly low level of understanding about what food chains are. Also the
so call "valid public concern" is a bit of a red herring. So far the public
concern seems to be a reaction to largely unproven effects. So, I guess
there is public concern, but "valid"? Not really.

We had a brief spat about the mode of social protest over environmental
issues last week. This seem connected IMO in that we now have elevated GM to
a major environmental issue in the mostly absence of any meaningful evidence
of harm. The reason I'm concerned about this is because policy makers who
don't want to take any real action on environmental issues can point to this
and roll out the "Chicken Little" argument. This has been the successful
policy approach for over a decade in keeping the US from adopting any sort
of global warming policy.

As most of the people on this list know by now, I feel that animal rights is
an issue which has been put into the environmental camp without good cause.
I now see that GM is an issue for some people who are concerned with
something to do with human health, or agricultural economics, or the like,
and they have successfully made GM into an environmental concern.

Makes me wonder if the day will ever come when the environmental movement
will achieve meaningful political goals. Gore should have been elected on
his environmental record alone. Never mind that he is a wimp and probably
not the most truthful person to ever run for office, on the environment he's
a saint compared to Bush. However, the environment did not, as near as I can
see, play any role in this election, except for the votes it took away from
Gore. The US is going to get a President who thinks that global warming
"needs more study" and will appoint cabinet officers who will make sure
nothing happens in the next four years on any environmental issue. I think
that we environmentalists are our own worst enemies.

Steven

In the final analysis one should think only
of one single science: the science of man,
or, more exactly expressed, social science,
of which our own existence constitutes at
once the principle and the purpose and in
which the rational study of the external
world naturally comes to merge, for this
double reason that the science of nature is
a necessary constituent of and a basic
preamble to social science.

                               Auguste Comte
                            Discourses, 1884