ENVIROETHICS  2000

ENVIROETHICS 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fwd: Re: The Ethics of Order in Nature (was Sustainable Development)

Steve <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

text/plain

Ted,

I was responding because often it seems to me that people throw around
terms like Chaos Theory (or more appropriately non-linear dynamics) and
really don't understand it.  The point of my post was to show that

1.  Long term prediction of a chaotic system is problematic
2.  The system is perfect deterministic (i.e. not random)
3.  It is very very easy to confuse a chaotic system with a random one.

Number 3 above relates to the gif.  In looking at the data one might
conclude that the two series are both AR(1) series and try to model them
both that way and in one case would be quite wrong.  Now, if you agree
with my junk science post that insufficient information can be bad then
you'd want to be somewhat careful in how you analyzed those two time
series.

Regarding your statistician's comments.  Fantastic!  I agree completely.
I know that in economics for instance Chaos Theory is not a big research
area because nobody can seem to find any.  If you were to go into a PhD
program and specialize in Choas and how it applies to economics you'd a)
be writing to a very small audience and b) be working primarily in the
theoretical field.

Steve

--- Ted Mosquin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Steve from: Steve <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Stella-Maria wrote:
>
> > If nature is ruled by chaos and randomness, if determinism is just a
>
> > > stupid construction (which may well be) why then so much hussle to
> start
> > > burning the few forests left in order to manage them (why= ethically
> > > mean, not scientifically). There is absolutely no reason to do
> prescribed
> > > burning on ethical grounds.
>
> And Ted responded:
>
> > Interesting question.  We could all do well to read  more on systems
> > theory, complexity theory, chaos theory and the idea of the
> self-organization
> > (self-realization?) of matter. I know this sounds odd for a long
> practicing research
> > biologist and ecologist but  I continue to be puzzled at the idea that
> > "Nature is ruled by chaos and randomness" - as the system is so
> complex, harmonious
> > and cooperative)
>
> To Steve: In the above I was only questioning Stella-Maria's statement
> on "Nature ruled by chaos and randomness."  You have clarified the
> matter, but
> a lay person would find it impossible to comprehend just what you mean.
> So I am adding to an explanation to your response (see below).
>
> And Steve wrote:
>
> > Problem:  A chaotic system *is* deterministic.  It appears random over
> various values.
> >
> > Example:
> > http://www.geocities.com/recursive_1/image002.gif
> >
> > One  series is chaotic the other is an autoregressive (of order 1)
> time
> > series.  Cany you tell which is which?
> >
> > Since I created the chaotic series I know with certainty the initial
> > condition and can predict with 100% accuracy the evolution of the
> system.
> > Nobody else can, unless they just happen to know the initial starting
> > value (exactly).
>
> Ted here:
> Steve, I looked at the above .gif  file and can't tell the difference. I
> don't see why anyone would need to, or what it has to do with
> enviroethics.
> So I consulted with a statistician who offered the following comment on
> your post. Here it is:
> _____________
>
> "Well, I can try to explain what Steve is saying.  How much relevance it
> has to ecospheric ethics is another issue.  (not much, to me!)
>
> "Think of a sine wave where you know the amplitude and frequency of the
> cycles.  If you know where a certain point on the wave is located then
> it is easy enough to compute the rest of the wave.
>
> "The same is true for chaotic systems, although in this case the line
> drawn does not look at all regular, like in the graph on Steve's web
> page.
> However, the noisy line is completely deterministic as he says in that
> [...]

=====
"In a nutshell, he [Steve] is 100% unadulterated evil. I do not believe in a 'Satan', but this man is as close to 'the real McCoy' as they come."
--Jamey Lee West