DRS_NEWS December 2000

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:34:56 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

  DRS_NEWS                                       ::
                                                 ::
  The digital newsletter                     :::::: :: ::: ::::
  of the                                    ::   :: :::   ::
  Design Research Society                  ::    :: ::      :::
                                            ::   :: ::        ::
  Volume 5, Number 12, December 2000         :::::: ::    :::::

CONTENTS

o   Editor's space

o   From Mailbase to Jiscmail

o   Conference: Re-inventing design education in the university

o   Proceedings of La Clusaz conference

o   Research training Initiative

o   Calls for Papers

o   Announcements

o   Cyber News

o   The Design Research Society: information

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to DRS_NEWS

EDITOR'S SPACE

Here we are at the end of another year.  This year has seen the
most significant rise in the number of subscribers to this
newsletter, with more than 3,500 signed up as this newsletter
goes out.  I particularly wanted to thank Ken Friedman for his
encouragement and help in recent times in publicising this
newsletter more widely, and of course Martin Woolley who keeps
the list in order by working quietly in the background.

Next year we aim to improve and lengthen the content of this
publication.  I am particularly keen to hear what subscribers
want.  In particular I would like to hear from students and
others about how they might be involved in contributing articles
about research, or perhaps writing a review of a conference or a
book. Please let me know.  You can hit the 'reply' key because
only I will read it...

My thanks to Anna Mawson who has sent this edition for me (I
hope...). I look forward to meeting some readers at the various
universities and research centres I am visiting in Australia in
the next three weeks, and also at Cal Swann's conference in
Perth.

This is also that time of year when I again turn to the fact
that we are an international community that transcends
disciplines, nationalities and cultures, and that the
approaching mid winter period here in the UK when we celebrate a
time called 'Christmas' is very different in other cultures
around the world.  I would nevertheless like to send my personal
compliments of the season, wherever you may be.

David Durling

FROM MAILBASE TO JISCMAIL

Over the last weekend, the email distribution service that
carries this newsletter has changed from 'mailbase' to a new
service called 'jiscmail'.  Your names will have been
transferred automatically to the new list.  You should not have
to do anything to keep receiving DRS_NEWS.

LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER!

International Conference on Design Education
11-13 December 2000
Curtin University of Technology. Perth. Western Australia

'RE-INVENTING DESIGN EDUCATION IN THE UNIVERSITY'

Conference Aims

'Re-inventing design education in the university' is a three-day
International Conference aimed at re-evaluating the nature of
undergraduate design education in the university context. This
is a significant moment at which to focus on the issue of the
change from an art school education that trained students for
careers in design practice - to a university undergraduate
program where students gain an education through design. The
outcomes of this conference will be to signal ideological
changes that are desirable in terms of teaching and learning in
design education within a university environment. It is intended
to publish the outcomes of workshops and significant articles
addressing these issues in a post conference book.

Conference website: Re-inventing Design Education in the
University'

http://www.curtin.edu.au/design/DesEd2000

PROCEEDINGS OF THE LA CLUSAZ CONFERENCE 'DOCTORAL EDUCATION IN
DESIGN

The proceedings of the recent conference have been published in
book form:

D. Durling and K. Friedman (Eds.) Proceedings of conference
Doctoral Education in Design: Foundations for the Future, 8-12
July 2000, La Clusaz, France.  UK: Staffordshire University
Press ISBN 1-897898-64-9

The conference brought together a distinguished and varied group
of international speakers to consider the future directions for
doctoral studies in design.  Among the issues debated were:
theoretical underpinnings of doctoral programmes; the nature of
a PhD in comparison with other forms of doctorate; the
philosophy and quality of existing practice-based PhDs; models
of research methods training; and the structure and validation
of traditional doctoral programmes internationally.

The proceedings comprise a substantial book of 56 refereed
papers and over 500 pages. All papers are grouped into one of
four sessions:

Philosophies and theories of design
Foundations and methods of design research
Form and structure for the doctorate in design
The relationship between practice and research

Orders received by email before 1 January 2001 will qualify for
a reduction on the cover price of UKP 40 plus UKP 5 for
packaging and postage to any address.  After 1 January, the full
price will apply.

Please send enquiries to:

Anna Mawson
Advanced Research Institute
School of Art & Design
Staffordshire University
Stoke on Trent, ST4 2XN, UK

+44 (0)1782 294602

RESEARCH TRAINING INITIATIVE

The case study section of the Research Training Initiative (RTI)
website is now fully up and running with a total of sixteen
examples of completed MPhil/PhD projects in design, art and art
and design education.

The case studies have been constructed primarily from the
original documents that accompanied the research process - the
original proposal, transfer papers (where appropriate), the final
thesis and accompanying illustrations.

To view the case studies go to the web address below and follow
the case studies link

http://www.biad.uce.ac.uk/research/guides/index.html

In order to access the website you will need to register using a
short online form, and select your own username and password.

CALLS FOR PAPERS

*   6 August 2001:  CALL FOR PAPERS: CONFIGURATION WORKSHOP
    in conjunction with the Seventeenth International Joint
    Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-2001), Seattle,
    Washington, USA

    http://www.ijcai-01.org

    WORKSHOP HOMEPAGE

    http://www.cs.hut.fi/u/pdmg/IJCAI2001ConfWS/

    IMPORTANT DATES

    Submission deadline: March 6, 2001 Notification of
    acceptance: March 28, 2001 Camera-ready version deadline:
    April 20, 2001

*   20-23 June  2001:  IAPS-CSBE CULTURE AND SPACE IN THE
    BUILT ENVIRONMENT NETWORK.  TRADITIONAL ENVIRONMENTS IN A
    NEW MILLENNIUM Defining Principles and Professional Practice
    We are pleased to bring to your attention the announcement
    for The Second International Symposium of IAPS-CSBE Network
    to be held in Amasya, Turkey.  If you have any questions
    regarding the symposium, please contact Goksenin Inalhan ,
    the symposium secretary, email:

    Further information on IAPS-CSBE Network & Amasya is
    available at:

    IAPS WEBPAGE: http://www.bwk.tue.nl/iaps

    Amasya WEBPAGE: http://www.amasya.gov.tr

*   23-26 April 2001:  British Computer Society National
    Museum of Photography, Film & Television, Bradford, UK Call
    for Submissions "INTELLIGENT AGENTS, MOBILE MEDIA, INTERNET,
    AND APPLICATIONS"

    The British Computer Society Computer Graphics & Displays
    Group will hold an international two day meeting on this
    theme to take place in the UK, 23-26 April 2001.  A book
    based on, but not restricted to, papers presented at the
    event will be published after the meeting.

    For details email: [log in to unmask] or

*   29 July - 1 August 2001:  Call for Papers for the
    ISPE/CE2001 - Eighth ISPE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
    CONCURRENT ENGINEERING: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, West
    Coast Anaheim Hotel, California, USA

    For details email  R. Goncalves ([log in to unmask]) Co-Chair:
    Mr. Ming Liang Lu

*   11-12 September 2001:  Architectural Education Exchange
    2001 Architectural Educators: Responding to Change.  Venue:
    Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University.  Deadline
    for Abstracts: 26th January 2001

    The Architectural Education Exchange 2001 will provide a
    unique opportunity for teachers of architecture to come
    together to discuss and share ideas on learning and teaching
    so that they may respond to the ongoing changes in
    Architectural Education. This conference follows on from the
    highly successful Clients and Users in Design Education
    (CUDE) conferences held at De-Montfort and Sheffield
    Universities in 1999 and 2000 respectively. This year the
    conference will be hosted by the LTSN Centre for Education
    in the Built Environment, which is one of 24 nationally
    funded discipline centres established to encourage and
    disseminate best practice and innovation in teaching and
    learning.

    Further information including details on the submission of
    abstracts can be found on the conference web site at
    http://cebe.cf.ac.uk/aee/

    or from Tania Clement

    Email: [log in to unmask]

*   Special Issue on E-Collaboration The Journal of Systems
    & Information Technology (Deadline for submissions: January
    15, 2001)

    http://www.mis.temple.edu/kock/JoSIT/

*   CALL FOR PAPERS  Special Issue of the International
    Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems Quality and
    Reliability: Modeling and Analysis for Complex Production
    Systems

    Increasing complexity of current products and processes with
    simultaneous high performance requirements place
    unprecedented challenges and opportunities in the
    development and operation of complex information-based
    production systems such as flexible manufacturing systems
    (FMSs) and reconfigurable manufacturing systems (RMSs).
    Recent studies have shown a number of barriers and
    challenges in the implementation of those systems
    (convertability, scalability, diagnosability).  These
    challenges are related to manufacturing system failures and
    quality deterioration during the ramp-up phase.  They can be
    often summarized as: (1) lack of accurate methodologies for
    predictability of process performance during early product
    development stages, (2) system failures and long fault
    recovery during a ramp-up phase, and (3) lack of advanced
    maintenance methodologies of the complex FMS/RMS.

    For the journal style guide, please refer to Kluwer Academic
    Publishers:

    http://www.wkap.nl/kaphtml.htm/IFA0920-6299.

    Details from Guest Editors: Professor Dariusz Ceglarek
    E-mail: [log in to unmask]

    Professor Judy Jin Email: [log in to unmask]

*   27-30 May 2001:  Congress on Evolutionary Computation
    2001 (CEC2001), COEX Center, Seoul, Korea.  Submission
    Deadline: December 15, 2000 (new)

    http://cec2001.kaist.ac.kr/

    The 2001 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2001) will
    bring together rese archers to exchange and report recent
    progress in evolutionary computation and i ts application to
    real-world problems. CEC2001 is jointly sponsored by the
    IEEE Neural Networks Council, the Evolutionary Programming
    Society, and the Instituti on of Electrical Engineers (IEE),
    and the Institute of Control, Automation and Systems
    Engineers, Korea (ICASE).

*   Special issue of 'Interactive Learning Environments'
    journal (ISSN 1049-4820) on the theme: "Cognitive Skills
    Acquisition in Life-long Learning"

    Cognitive skills are concerned with analysis, interpretation
    and decision making processes required for performing the
    procedural tasks. The development of cognitive skill demands
    a more sophisticated learning process as much of its process
    runs inside a human mind and may largely rely on
    self-explanations as a learner studies an example and
    attempts a given problem.

    It is easier for a learning system researcher, designer or
    implementer to consider the facilitation of physical skills
    due to their external visibility, but it seems important to
    have stronger focus on cognitive skills acquisition,
    particularly for life long learners who may not be learning
    in the traditional setting.

    We invite discussion on these and related issues with a view
    to better understand the emerging trends in research, design
    and implementation of systems for cognitive skills
    acquisition in life-long learning.

    General details about the journal are available at:

    http://www.swets.nl/sps/journals/ile1.html

*   October 2001:  Towards Sustainable Product Design 6th
    international conference The Netherlands
    To be organised by: The Centre for Sustainable Design in
    association with Delft University of Technology, Design for
    Sustainability Programme
    For more information contact: Professor Martin Charter

*   12-14 September 2001:  SCANNING THE HORIZON - 2001
    Conference University of East Anglia, Norwich

    A first call for papers has been issued for the 2001 mda
    Conference.  The theme for Scanning the Horizon will be the
    ways in which emerging and converging technologies
    (including broadband, wireless and VR) are being applied in
    the cultural sector.  In particular we welcome papers on
    applications for new uses, including innovative approaches
    to effecting the dynamic involvement of users with
    collections and collections knowledge. In addition we seek
    papers addressing future social impact. What effects will
    there be in the way people respond to cultural institutions
    and will those institutions that do not embrace emerging
    technologies be the losers?  Please send paper proposals to
    Frances Bycroft [log in to unmask] by Friday 1 December.

    www.mda.org.uk

*   Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media
    Technologies Special Issue on Telecommunications in Europe

    Submission deadline for this issue is :  30th October 2001

    For Volume 8 No. 2 of the Journal (Summer 2002) we are
    seeking papers relating to research projects or case studies
    on European telecommunications policy.  This issue will be
    guest-edited by Peter Humphreys, Reader in Government,
    University of Manchester.

    Proposals for articles or completed papers should be sent
    to: Peter Humphreys

    Convergence is a quarterly refereed academic journal which
    addresses the creative, social, political and pedagogical
    issues raised by the advent of new media technologies.
    On-line info at

    http://www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence

*   18-19 September 2001:  CALL FOR
    PAPERS Automobile Division Southern
    Centre Total Vehicle Technology International Conference
    University of Sussex

    The theme of the conference is the integration of
    technologies in vehicle and automotive engineering.

    Contact: Dr Peter Childs

*   10-14 September 2001:  IHM-HCI2001 Call for
    participation, Lille Interaction without frontiers

    AFIHM and the British HCI Group are combining their annual
    conferences in 2001, bringing  together the best features of
    each organisation's separate conference series and providing
    a special opportunity for the French- and English-speaking
    HCI communities to interact.

    http://www.ihm-hci2001.org

ANNOUNCEMENTS

*   Loop: AIGA Journal of Interaction Design Education.
    Loop number 1 is now online.

    Loop is an interactive, web-based journal providing a forum
    for presenting research that illuminates and advances
    understanding of the relationship between practice and
    pedagogy in the emerging discipline of interaction and
    visual interface design.

    http://loop.aiga.org

*   I would like to introduce you to Limu.com, the online
    knowledge and learning marketplace where people all over the
    world teach and tutor others about interesting topics and
    subjects.  I wanted to invite you to consider registering a
    course on our site in your particular field of expertise.

    You can register Courses or tutoring topics at Limu that
    range from a simple one-hour introduction to more complex
    and detailed courses of several hours over several sessions.
    You set the course fee (there is no cost to you for
    registering a course) and take bookings from people
    interested in your subject. Once details have been agreed
    upon, you meet and hold the course online and interactively
    in Limu's browser based virtual classroom from the
    convenience of your PC.

    Because we encourage our course participants to make the
    most use of the live voice facility in the virtual
    classroom, we are giving away a free headset to all those
    who register a course with Limu.

    You can click on the following link to visit our site and
    take our online tour that explains Limu and the virtual
    classroom in more detail:

    http://www.limu.com/

*   The recent CoDesigning conference is reported in two
    proceedings: the first being full papers, published by
    Springer-Verlag (ISBN 1-85233-341-3); the second the poster
    papers, published by Coventry University (ISBN
    0-905949-93-5). Together these comprise 86 papers.

    There is a small number of copies of the set of proceedings
    left which are being sold for UKP 50 plus postage and
    package. If you would like to get a flavour of them, then
    take a look at

    http://vide.coventry.ac.uk/codesigning/.

    Here you will find the contents pages for the
    Springer-Verlag book and the poster programme, which
    comprises the contents of the Coventry book.

    If you would like to order a set then contact Lynn Green
    ([log in to unmask]) who will explain the ordering
    arrangements.

*   A COLLOQUIUM We have a few places available for a
    colloquium at the Design Museum, London, on 11 December,
    2000. The intention of this event is to take a sideways look
    at some theoretical questions surrounding the much-used term
    'sustainability', and to develop some fresh thoughts and
    terms of reference that would form the basis for a later -
    more public - conference for designers.

    Tickets are Ten Pounds Sterling for the day (9.15am -
    6.00pm) (includes refreshments and free entrance to the
    'Supporting Sustainability' exhibition).

    PLEASE APPLY TO: Soo Miller [log in to unmask]

*   Details of several new free resources which are
    available to assist researchers in networking and sharing
    their research findings world-wide:

    http://www.literaticlub.co.uk/research/registers.html

*   The Cambridge Laboratory of the Xerox Research Centre
    Europe (XRCE) is looking for an exceptional researcher to
    work with our social scientists to translate their fieldwork
    observations into innovative, insightful and inspiring
    design concepts. The successful candidate will have the
    opportunity to work on a European funded long-term research
    project, MIME, in collaboration with Philips Design and
    Nottingham University (Computer Science dept.) as well as a
    range of other internal projects.

    MIME (Multiple Intimate Media Environments) will envision
    new paradigms of interaction and radically different ways to
    conceive of computation. The theme of 'disappearing' or
    ubiquitous computing will be explored by focusing upon
    assemblies of new types of devices, appliances, media and
    spaces. Technology design will be grounded in detailed
    studies of environments, such as the home, which are on the
    edge of radical changes in computing use. XRCE has
    substantial experience in media-spaces, ubiquitous computing
    environments, context sensitive systems, collaborative work
    and user studies.

    For the full text job description:

http://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/articles/article.asp?aID=7297

*   Interactive Educational Multimedia:  the launch of a
    new journal dedicated to the world of multimedia
    technologies in education and training, both distance and
    non-distance learning. We are referring to the electronic
    journal, 'Interactive Educational Multimedia', which can be
    found at:

    http://www.ub.es/multimedia/iem

*   The Winter 2001 issue of Convergence (vol. 7, no. 4)
    will be devoted to the theme of an historical approach to
    understanding the future adoption and diffusion of new media
    technologies.

    Submissions are welcomed relating to the history of the
    future of new media technologies and services (eg Carolyn
    Marvin, 1988, Ithiel de Sola Pool, 1983) from theoretical,
    historical, economic, and policy perspectives as well as
    retrospective technology assessment. Original works that
    analyze the actual writings of the future of existing or
    previous communication technologies are sought.

    Copy deadline for refereed research articles: 30 April 2001.

    All proposals, inquiries and submissions for this special
    issue to:

    Bruce C. Klopfenstein Professor of Telecommunications,
    Department of Telecommunications, 320 West Hall, Bowling
    Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403 USA. Web:
    www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence, e-mail:

*   The Centre for Transition Research in Design (CENTRAD)
    at Leeds Metropolitan University now has a website:

    http://www.lmu.ac.uk/hen/centrad/index.htm

    CENTRAD acts as a focus for researches on 'qualitative
    change in the creative industries'.  The website
    incorporates its occasional papers publication, 'Design
    Observatory'.  These papers are currently organized into
    three strands: Theory/Practice; Globalization;
    Sustainability.

*   Journal of Sustainable Product Design:  The Centre for
    Sustainable Design (www.cfsd.org.uk/journal) have formed an
    innovative partnership with Kluwer Academic Publishers (KAP)
    in the Netherlands to develop the Journal of Sustainable
    Product Design. JSPD launched in 1997 covers economic,
    environmental, ethical and social considerations in product
    development and design and provides a platform for
    organisations and individuals to discuss and explore new
    solutions although not ignoring the complex issues
    surrounding sustainability. JSPD's international focus
    enables business decision-makers and academics to monitor
    trends as they appear and develop on a global scale, from
    managing eco-design, life cycle assessment and 'design for
    dismantling' to eco-innovation, 'product service systems'
    and dematerialisation.  JSPD balances practical issues as
    they affect us today, as well as exploring new ideas and
    thinking with examples drawn from both 'the North' and 'the
    South'.  JSPD aims to be the focus for a new vision for
    product and service development and design that integrates
    eco-efficiency with social responsibility in the delivery of
    sustainable solutions.

    If you want to discuss an idea for a paper please email the
    Editor: Martin Charter on [log in to unmask]

*   Interested in Attending the Aotearoa New Zealand
    Association of Art Educators' Conference to be Held in
    Hamilton, New Zealand, at Easter 2001?

    http://www.stateofthe-art.co.nz or email:
    [log in to unmask] to receive a brochure by mail.

CYBER NEWS: snippets from the networks

*   Interested in Australian Design?

    http://www.designawards.com.au/

*   "Networking on the Network."  Anyone who is interested
    in research or career development in the networked
    information society will find it useful.

    http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/network.html

*   Welcome to art train. A sign-posting and information
    site of business & professional skills advice and support
    for visual and applied artists in Scotland.

    http://www.arttrain.org.uk/

*   100% design show pictures.

    http://www.design-engine.com/events/london2k/

*   ANTHROPOLOGY OF HABITAT AND ARCHITECTURE

    Our pluridisciplinary website on Architecture and Habitat
    Anthropology has been revised and enlarged.

    Our INTERNET-Homepage: http://home.worldcom.ch/~negenter

    NEW: 'RESEARCH SERIES ONLINE':

    http://home.worldcom.ch/~negenter/005_ResSerOnline.html

    We recommend the following title as a primary access for
    Design Researchers. It is an anthropologically [thus
    scientifically] founded aesthetic theory.

    ANTHROPOLOGY OF AESTHETICS: CULTURE AS IDENTITY - Polarity
    in Art, Lifestyle and Ontology - Japan, a visual and
    theoretical model

    http://home.worldcom.ch/~negenter/418aDundeeTT.html

DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The Design Research Society is the multi-disciplinary
international learned society for the design research community.
DRS was founded in 1967, and since then has established a
record of significant achievements in contributing to design
knowledge.

DRS has facilitated an international design research network in
35 countries comprising members who maintain contact through the
publications and activities of the Society.  Members are drawn
from diverse backgrounds, not only from the traditional areas of
design, ranging from fine art to engineering, but also from
subjects like psychology and computer science.

Our interests include:

o   recognising design as a creative act common to many
    disciplines

o   understanding research and its relationship with education
    and practice

o   advancing the theory and practice of design

We realise these by:

o   encouraging the development of scholarship and knowledge in
    design

o   contributing to the development of doctoral education and
    research training

o   sharing knowledge across the boundaries of design disciplines

o   facilitating networks to exchange and communicate ideas,
    experience and research findings among members

o   disseminating research findings

o   promoting awareness of design research

o   organising and sponsoring conferences, and publishing
    proceedings

o   encouraging communications between members internationally

o   responding to consultative documents

o   collaborating with other bodies

o   lobbying on behalf of members' research interests

o   recognising excellence in design research through awards

o   sponsoring email discussion groups and a monthly emailed
    newsletter

Membership of DRS provides:

o   regular communications about research activities worldwide

o   reduced subscription to Design Studies, the international
    journal for design research in engineering, architecture,
    products and systems.  Design Studies is published by
    Elsevier in cooperation with DRS

o   reduced fees to DRS sponsored events

o   representation of the design research community and members'
    interests

o   a means of identifying and contacting other members

o   an opportunity to contribute to the international design
    research community

For further details and an application form, contact the
membership secretary:

Professor Robert Jerrard, School of Design Research, Birmingham
Institute of Art and Design, University of Central England,
Corporation Street, Birmingham, UK B4 7DX

email: [log in to unmask]

ELECTRONIC SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

o   DRS_NEWS is the electronic newsletter of the Design
    Research Society.  It communicates news about research
    throughout the world.  It is mailed automatically at the
    beginning of each month and is free.  You may subscribe at
    the following site:

    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/design-research/join.html

o   DRS is a discussion list open for unmoderated discussion
    on all matters related to design research.  You may
    subscribe at the following site:

    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/drs/join.html

o   PHD-DESIGN is a discussion list open for unmoderated
    discussion on all matters related to the PhD in design.  You
    may subscribe at the following site:

    http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/phd-design/join.html

o   Full information about the Design Research Society may be
    found at:

    http://www.drs.org.uk

CONTRIBUTIONS

Information to the editor (email only):

Dr. David Durling, Director, Advanced Research Institute,
School of Art & Design, Staffordshire University, UK.