DRS_NEWS May 2000

David Durling <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 01 May 2000 20:27:00 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

  DRS_NEWS                                       ::
                                                 ::
  The digital newsletter                     :::::: :: ::: ::::
  of the                                    ::   :: :::   ::
  Design Research Society                  ::    :: ::      :::
                                            ::   :: ::        ::
  Volume 5, Number 5, May 2000               :::::: ::    :::::

CONTENTS

o   Editor's space

o   DRS annual meeting

o   Re-Inventing Design Education in the University

o   Calls for Papers

o   Announcements

o   Questions, questions

o   Cyber News

o   The Design Research Society: details of membership

o   Electronic Services of the DRS

o   Contributing to DRS_NEWS

EDITOR'S SPACE

On 1 April 2000, the DRS held a Council meeting followed by an
annual meeting.  A brief note of some aspects of the AGM is
included below.

It is hoped that the forthcoming doctoral education conference
in La Clusaz will have some impact in defining the nature and
scope of the PhD in design, and through clarifying these may
also allow us to understand better the potential for other kinds
of doctorate in design should they be required.  What happens at
the higher levels of abstraction such as doctoral education is
of course influenced by what happens at the undergraduate level.

Many design courses in various parts of the world have developed
from, or been greatly influenced by, art schools based upon a
project-based, studio and workshop learning-by-doing form of
design training.  The aim was then, and seems to be still, to
produce design practitioners.

Considering that design is a broad discipline at the
intersection of other subject areas, I am sometimes shocked by
the paucity of knowledge expressed by students about domains
other than their narrow definition of 'design'.  It is as though
they have been trained, not educated.  In the transition to the
university, it is doubtful that we have yet understood fully
what a university education entails.  For example: the notions
of receiving an education 'through' design have not yet been
worked out; the extent to which tutors understand the
theoretical aspects of design varies; and it remains difficult
to interest design students in 'reading' for the kind of degree
that will ensure their abilities in lifelong learning.  Changes
to these aspects of education may be at the expense of the deep
craft skills admired until now.

Any significant changes in undergraduate teaching and learning
will certainly impact upon design research, hopefully for the
better.  A conference  titled 'Re-Inventing Design Education in
the University' is therefore to be welcomed.  It is to be held
in Australia later this year.  Further details are announced
below.

DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY ANNUAL MEETING

Held 1st April 2000, Royal College of Art, London.

The President remains as Prof. Bruce Archer.  The result of
elections was that the following persons were
appointed to the following positions.

Officers:

Chair:  Dr. David Durling
Vice Chair:  Alec Robertson
Hon. Secretary:  Rachael Luck
Hon. Treasurer:  Dr. John Langrish
Hon. Membership Secretary:  Prof. Robert Jerrard
Hon. Publications Secretary (newsletter editor):  vacancy
Hon. Events Secretary:  Prof. Martin Woolley

Members of Council:

Dr. John Shackleton (new member)
Dr. Tom Inns (new member)
Prof. Stephen Scrivener
Prof. Roger Newport
Prof. Nigel Cross (Design Studies Editor)
Prof. Necdet Teymur
Conall O'Cathain (past Chair)
Dr. Robert Young
Jack Ingram
Dr. Stephen Little
Dr. Janet McDonnell

It was noted that Stephen Little had wanted to step down from
editorship of the Society's paper newsletter.  Council thanked
Stephen Little for his contribution especially in
re-establishing the newsletter for DRS members.  A replacement
editor is sought, and will be discussed at the next meeting.  It
was also announced that Brian Allison was stepping down from
Council for health reasons.  Council thanked Brian for his
contribution to the Society's affairs over many years.

The Chair's report highlighted progress that was continuing to
be made in widening international membership and participation,
responding to government initiatives, and promoting major design
research events.  The Society had over the past year made a
thorough review of its present position, and had developed a
plan for the future based upon an agreed set of principles.
These include widening international links, increasing
membership, and continuing efforts to promote design research in
all its forms across all disciplines.

The Vice-Chair's report mentioned progress with the ARIAD
database of design research which is going digital and is
available on the web.  Funding for further development is being
sought.

The Treasurer's report discussed the accounts prepared up to
31st December 1999.  The numbers of subscriptions have increased
and the DRS remains in a healthy financial position.

The Membership Secretary's report showed the international
membership is increasing, with new members from USA, Canada and
Hong Kong.  The annual fee has increased to UKP 20.  New
recruitment literature has been agreed including a web-based
application.

The Meetings Secretary's report was presented on his behalf
showing a healthy range of events during the past year and for
the current year.

An interesting feature of this year's annual meeting was
firstly, a short talk by Professor Nigel Cross (Design Studies
Editor-in-Chief) on 'Design Research: The Disciplined
Conversation'.  Secondly, this was followed by the formal
presentation of the Design Studies Award for 1999 to Dr. Petra
Badke-Schaub and Dr. Eckart Frankenburger, for their paper on
'Analysis of Design Projects', published in Design Studies vol.
20, no. 5, pp. 465-480.  Drs. Badke-Schaub and Frankenburger
then gave a presentation of their paper, and this was followed
by an opportunity for questions with an illuminating discussion.

The Design Studies Award is made annually, jointly by Elsevier
Science, the journal publishers, and the Design Research
Society.

CONFERENCE: RE-INVENTING DESIGN EDUCATION IN THE UNIVERSITY

11-13 December 2000: 'Re-Inventing Design Education In The
University' International Conference on Design Education, Curtin
University of Technology. Perth. Western Australia.

Keynote Speakers:
Richard Buchanan, Professor of Design, Carnegie Mellon
University, Pittsburgh, USA

Clive Dilnot, Professor of Design, Hong Kong Polytechnic, Hong
Kong

Ken Friedman, Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic
Design, Department of Knowledge Management, Norwegian School of
Management, Norway

This is the first announcement of a 3 day International
Conference for design educators. The conference is aimed at
re-evaluating the nature of undergraduate design education
following the number of conferences in recent years that have
focused on the distinctive character of research and
postgraduate study in design.

This is a significant moment at which to focus on the issue of
the change from an art school education that trained students
for careers in design practice - to a university undergraduate
program where students gain an education through design. While
there have been increased opportunities in universities for
postgraduate study, which has contributed toward the
establishment of a new field of study, undergraduate design
education has remained largely unaffected. The outcomes of this
conference will be to signal ideological changes that are
desirable in terms of teaching and learning in a university
environment.

Paper presentations

Academics throughout the world are invited to participate in a
series of parallel seminar sessions. An international panel of
design academics has already been established to advise on
conference content and to review papers. Selected papers will be
published in a post-conference publication.

More information on the review panel and details of the
conference themes, attendance fees, and so on, will be published
on the conference website to be launched in May.

Interactivity

The conference will follow conventional academic conference
processes in the form of keynote speeches and parallel tracks of
seminar papers but it will also be designed to provide enhanced
opportunities for interactivity by delegates in facilitated
workshops. This is intended to raise awareness of the issues and
also provide the time (in addition to generous coffee and lunch
breaks) for academics to both formally and informally discuss
design education issues while they are gathered together.

An important element of the conference will be to encourage pre-
and post-conference debate through electronic means and access
to a conference website with discussion forums. Delegates will
be able to read the papers and prepare for the workshops before
arriving in Perth - and be able to follow up these exchanges
during and after the actual conference. We also intend to
organise a pre-conference workshop on campus (Sunday 10
December) for those who can arrive at the weekend.

Conference abstracts and papers will be made available before
the event through a conference website. Continuing debate after
the conference will be encouraged through this website and a
mailing list. Selected papers will be published in a post
conference book.

Pre-conference promotion, communications and
booking/administration matters will be primarily carried out
electronically.

Location

Curtin University of Technology is in Perth in Western
Australia, and December is the early summer season with an ideal
climate for a cafe culture and informal discourse. The John
Curtin Centre, the Elizabeth Jolly Lecture Theatre and adjacent
seminar spaces are well suited to conference activities, and
good hotel accommodation is within easy reach.

Convener is Professor Cal Swann
http://staff.curtin.edu.au/~rswannc/

DOCTORAL EDUCATION IN DESIGN: FOUNDATIONS FOR THE FUTURE
La Clusaz, France, 8-12 July 2000

Please note that early discounted registration closes on 9 June.
For details see:

http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/phd-design/files/france.htm

CALLS FOR PAPERS

*   CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: DCNet00 is the third conference in
    a series of online conferences that focuses on the future of
    design computing. The online conference will run over four
    days in a Virtual Conference Room. DCNet00 is sponsored by
    The International Journal of Design Computing - an
    electronic journal whose objective is to promote research
    and technology transfer in design computing through the
    publication of interactive, multimedia journal articles
    within the general topic of design computing. This
    conference furthers those objectives by providing a focused
    forum on the future of design computing.

    Submissions are invited on the following broad topics:

    - Collaborative Design - Multimedia in Design - Virtual
    Reality - Artificial Intelligence in Design

    Visit the conference web site at:

    http://www.arch.usyd.EDU.AU/kcdc/conferences/DCNet00/
    index.html

*   Call for Papers in Book DATA MINING FOR DESIGN AND
    MANUFACTURING: Methods and Applications Editor: Dr. Dan
    Braha, Kluwer Academic Publishers

    Data Mining for Design and Manufacturing: Methods and
    Applications will be published by Kluwer Academic
    Publishers. The book is a volume in a series called "Massive
    Computing" that is organized by James Abello (AT&T Labs
    Research), Panos Pardalos (Univ. of Florida) and Mauricio
    Resende (AT&T Labs Research). The book is especially
    important since it will bring together the latest research
    and practice on the relationship between data mining and
    design and manufacturing environments.

    For more details, potential authors are encouraged to
    discuss with the editor ([log in to unmask]) topics
    within and outside the above areas.

*   17-20 October 2000:  13th BRAZILIAN SYMPOSIUM ON
    COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND IMAGE PROCESSING
    The goal of the Symposium is to bring together researchers
    in Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and related areas.
    The proceedings are published by the IEEE Computer Society
    Press in time for distribution at the conference.

    http://www.sbc.org.br/sibgrapi

*   2-5 APRIL 2001: The WORK Research Centre for Employment
    Creation in Construction and The University of the
    Witwatersrand, South Africa Presents the First International
    Conference WORK 2001 on "Employment Creation in Development"

    More detailed information will be available from our
    Web site:

    http://www.civil.wits.ac.za/rmc/w2001index.html

ANNOUNCEMENTS

*   6-9 JULY 2000:  European Union Model Conference
    Association, Budapest, HUNGARY.

    The European Union Model Conference Association kindly
    invites You to the European Union Model Conference for
    students, to be organised on July 6-9th, 2000 in Budapest,
    Hungary.

    More information is available at our Internet-site:
    http://www.eumodelconference.hu
    e-mail: [log in to unmask]

*   Oficina Nacional de Diseno Industrial (ONDI) 47 No. 3446
    esq. 41, Rpto. Kohly, Playa, Ciudad de La Habana 11300,
    Cuba.

    For establishing a meeting point where to exchange ideas, to
    analyze the times passed and to find the sense for real
    progress, the National Office for Industrial Design (ONDI)
    calls together all friends, professionals and students all
    around the world, to take part in the Sixth Meeting on
    Design.

    E-mail: [log in to unmask]  Phone.(537) 23 0797 Fax: (537)
    23 0798.

*   Job Vacancies at the Technical University (TU) Delft,
    The Netherlands.

    The section of Design Methodology, part of the sub-faculty
    of Industrial Design Engineering at the Technical University
    of Delft currently has three vacancies available: A lecturer
    position, and two Ph.D positions.  Applications from abroad
    are welcomed.

    For further information please contact either Norbert
    Roozenburg (email: [log in to unmask]) or Peter
    Lloyd (email: [log in to unmask]).  Telephone enquiries
    via the department secretary +31 15 278 3068.  Further
    information about the sub-faculty of industrial design
    engineering can be found at www.io.tudelft.nl and about the
    TU Delft at www.tudelft.nl.

*   "PROFITABLE CONSULTING" organised by the IEE
    Consultants Management Group co-sponsored by the IEE
    Merseyside and North Wales Centre the Institute of
    Management Consultancy IT Special Interest Group and the
    Institute of Physics to be held on Saturday, 13 May, 2000 at
    The Centenary Grandstand, Haydock Park Racecourse.

    For details contact: Edward Rooksby Management Division,
    IEE, Savoy Place, London WCR 0BL Tel: +44 (0) 20 7344 5425
    Fax: +44 (0) 20 74973633 Email: [log in to unmask]

*   4th-5th/Sept 2000:  Conference on  Construction
    Applications of Virtual Reality: Current Initiatives and
    Future Challenges. (CONVR 2000)  Venue: VR Centre
    (http://vr.tees.ac.uk) University of Teesside,
    Middlesbrough, UK

    Virtual Reality is an exciting new technology that offers
    considerable potential benefits for all stages of the
    construction process, from initial planning and conceptual
    design to facility management and operations. VR can be
    applied as a vehicle for the whole life cycle design and
    operation of projects. The mission of the conference is to
    bring together researchers and practitioners in all areas of
    the construction industry and promote efficient exchange of
    ideas and develop mutual understanding of needs and
    potential applications of VR modelling. There are
    sustainable research efforts, in the UK, EU, USA and Japan,
    that are pushing the frontier of knowledge in terms of
    utilising and implementing VR in the construction process.
    The objective of the conference is to report and disseminate
    outputs/progress of innovative international research
    activities in this field and formulate strategies for future
    research direction. Leading researchers and practitioners
    will be invited to submit working papers for the conference.

    Further information from: Prof. N Dawood Construction
    Research Group School of Science and Technology University
    of  Teesside Middlesbrough TS1 3BA Email:
    [log in to unmask] Tel:      01642  342405 Fax:     01642
    342401

*   DYSLEXIA  A CREATIVE OPPORTUNITY.  The Surrey Institute
    of Art & Design, University College played host to a one-day
    conference exploring the creative opportunities presented by
    working with dyslexic students in higher education art and
    design.  The conference, organised and managed by Anne
    Brigden, co-ordinator of the Dyslexia Project based at The
    Surrey Institute, aimed to raise awareness, alter
    preconceptions and promote good practice amongst educators
    working in art and design.

    For further information please contact Ann Brigden on +44
    (0)1252 892738

*   6 June 2000:  The Institution of Electrical Engineers
    'Managing Innovation', Birmingham UK.

    Innovation is critical to business success today. Customers
    demand increasing value for money - either greater
    functionality at the same cost, or more often, greater
    functionality at reduced cost. To survive, businesses must
    innovate to improve both their products and the processes
    that they use to deliver them. Moreover, innovation cannot
    be a one-off occurrence. Successful businesses must
    incorporate the process of innovation into their long-term
    strategy.

    This Seminar will address key questions on how to innovate
    and will provide examples of best practice in innovation
    management.

    The event will include speakers from The Foresight Vehicle
    Programme, Texas Instruments and the DTI and will cover:

    - case studies of successful introductions of innovative new
    processes and products - setting product and process
    innovation into a wider Foresight context - marketing
    innovation - accessing EU funding - innovation for SMEs

    For more information and a registration form please contact
    Edward Rooksby, IEE, Savoy Place, London, WC2R 0BL. Tel: 020
    7344 5425 Fax: 020 7497 3633 Email: [log in to unmask]

*   Journal of Visual Art Practice: Call for Papers ISSN:
    1470-2029  3nos/vol Edited by Iain Biggs, University of the
    West of England, Bristol

    The Journal of Visual Art Practice (JVAP) is a new refereed
    journal publishing scholarly research and informed
    commentary on various aspects of visual art practice seen
    from a broadly educational perspective. It welcomes
    contributions from art educators, scholars, art
    practitioners and others concerned with contemporary art
    practice seen from such a perspective. The journal will seek
    to represent the full spectrum of intellectual positions and
    modes of educational practice have developed out of, or in
    reaction to, the traditional notions of 'fine art' practice.

    To subscribe to the Journal of Visual Art Practice / to
    order a free sample copy please contact: Intellect, FAE,
    Earl Richards Road North, Exeter EX2 6AS, UK Tel/Fax: +44
    (0) 1392 475110  Email: [log in to unmask]

*   25-27 September 2000:  Third European Conference on
    Product and Process Modelling in the building and related
    industries - ECPPM 2000, Lisbon.

    The main focus of ECPPM2000 is the use of Information
    Technologies in Product and Process Modelling applied to the
    building and related industries.

    Proceedings will be published as a book with ISBN number by
    Balkema Publishers (http://www.balkema.nl), and will be
    printed before conference

    Selected papers will be published in the special issue of
    the International Journal of Computer Applications
    Technology (IJCAT) on "Product and process modelling in the
    building and related industries".

    For detailed information about the conference, have a look
    at: http://www.uninova.pt/~ecppm2000 or contact the
    organisers by email at: [log in to unmask]

*   14-16 June 2000:  Can You Hear Us, A participatory
    design laboratory mobile communication and excluded users 14
    - 16 June 2000 hosted by the Design Support Centre, Leeds
    Metropoitan University with the British HCI Group.

    Can You Hear Us is a unique three-day inter-disciplinary
    design laboratory and exploratory research forum, which will
    take a fresh look from a user perspective at an issue that
    is central to the future development of the mobile phone to
    include excluded users.

    We can improve access to this powerful technology for those
    who may be disadvantaged. Many potential users are currently
    excluded from mobile communication - for example, isolated
    and older people; some people with disabilities (such as
    difficulties with eye-hand co-ordination or restricted
    hand-finger movement) - and those with limited history (or
    no history at all) of using a micro interface. Be part of
    this innovative research event.

    Meet a unique, diverse international group of professionals
    from a variety of related fields at the leading edge of
    innovation, design and technology; practising experts from
    industry, consulting and user groups will share their
    experience with you.

    Application form and further details available at
    www.lmu.ac.uk/hen/dsc.  Design Support Centre, School of
    Art, Architecture & Design, Leeds Metropolitan University,
    Calverley Street, Leeds LS1 3HE, England.  For more info.
    contact:  Steve Hoffman at DSC ([log in to unmask])

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS

*   Cherie Lebbon writes:

    As part of an ongoing research project I am trying to plot
    the major events, conferences, publications and actions
    leading up to the present position for
    user-centred/universal/inclusive/design for all type design
    activities, ending with the Design the 21st Century
    Conference in the USA later this year.  I have already
    plotted the major legislative prompts, eg the Americans with
    Disabilities act 1995 and have a dates for a wide range of
    activities.  Now I am trying to plug the gaps. I am
    particularly looking for seminal publications by designers
    and others in related fields such as ergonomics. I am also
    trying to collate all the models which describe the
    interaction between humans and artefacts and humans and
    environments, I am familiar with those from the HCI field,
    but are there any others buried in obscure places that I
    should really be looking at.

    If any of you know of anything which would flesh out either
    of my 2 data sets please send me a reference or a URL where
    I can get to the information.

    And as a last thought, who owns user-centred design? was it
    ergonomists? does it still belong to them? I ask these
    questions after attending a day of the Ergonomics 2000
    conference last week where I ran a workshop on inclusive
    design and its relationship to ergonomics. Some participants
    felt it should be exclusively their territory, and that if
    designers understood what it was and how to do it, then the
    ergonomists would be out of a job. I think it depends on
    what methods you are using to approach a user-centred
    perspective as to whether a designer can successfully
    undertake user-centred designing. What do you think?

    Cherie Lebbon Research Fellow Helen Hamlyn Research Centre
    Royal College of Art Kensington Gore London SW7 2EU Tel 0171
    590 4242 Fax 0171 590 4244 e.mail [log in to unmask]
    http://www.hhrc.rca.ac.uk http://dan.interact.nl/

*   Paul Rodgers writes:

    We are currently conducting a small study here at Napier
    University's Design Department on the sources of inspiration
    that our first year undergraduates draw from when
    undertaking their design activities. This involves asking
    the students (from Interior Architecture, Industrial Design
    and Interdisciplinary Design) for responses to a number of
    design-related questions such as what buildings, past or
    present, inspire and inform your design work.

    I would be grateful if members could suggest any books or
    papers or related research to this subject. Any pointers
    would be gratefully received.

    Dr Paul A. Rodgers Lecturer, Department of Design Napier
    University 10 Colinton Road Edinburgh EH10 5DT t: +44 (0)131
    455 2313 or 2678 f: +44 (0)131 455 2292 e:

CYBER NEWS: snippets from the networks

*   TSPD#5 Conference programme now downloadable

    Towards Sustainable Product Design: CfSD's 5th international
    conference (see www.cfsd.org.uk/tspd5.htm) will be organised
    in cooperation with ec(o)ncept between 23-24th October 2000
    at the Design Center Stuttgart in Germany. The event will be
    run in association with the German Federal Environment
    Ministry and Federal Environmental Agency's  Project:
    'Possibilities of Eco-design'. TSPD#5 will also incorporate
    the launch of two new books 'Sustainable Solutions' and
    'Eco-design Toolbox'

DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

The Design Research Society was established in 1967, reflecting
a belief among academics and professionals from different design
communities that the essence of the activity called design was
common to many disciplines.

The Society has facilitated an international design research
network in 35 countries comprising members who maintain contact
through the publications and activities of the Society.  Members
are drawn from diverse backgrounds, not only from the
traditional areas of design, ranging from fine art to
engineering, but also from subjects like psychology and computer
science.

The goals of the Society are to:

o   promote communication across the boundaries of all design
    disciplines

o   provide a forum to exchange and communicate ideas,
    experience and research findings

o   promote the improvement of practical design performance in
    all its aspects

o   contribute to the development of a coherent body of
    scholarship and knowledge in design

Membership is open to individuals and costs only UK pounds 20
per year.  Members are entitled to the following:

o   Newsletter of the Society

o   Reduced rate subscription to the journal 'Design Studies',
    published in association with the Society by Elsevier

o   Occasional mailings to members

o   Invitations and reduced admission charges to seminars and
    conferences organised by the Society

For further details and an application form, contact the
membership secretary:

Professor Robert Jerrard, School of Design Research, Birmingham
Institute of Art and Design, University of Central England,
Corporation Street, Birmingham, UK B4 7DX

tel: +44 (0)121 331 7807  fax: +44 (0)121 333 5569

email <[log in to unmask]

ELECTRONIC SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

*   DRS_NEWS is the electronic newsletter of the Design
    Research Society.  It communicates news about research
    throughout the world.  It is mailed automatically at the
    beginning of each month and is free.  You may subscribe at
    the following site:

    http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/design-research/join.html

*   DRS is a discussion list open for unmoderated discussion
    on all matters related to design research.  You may
    subscribe at the following site:

    http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/drs/join.html

*   PHD-DESIGN is a discussion list open for unmoderated
    discussion on all matters related to the PhD in design.  You
    may subscribe at the following site:

    http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/phd-design/join.html

*   Full information about the Design Research Society may be
    found at:

    http://www.drs.org.uk

CONTRIBUTIONS

Information to the editor (email only):

Dr. David Durling, Director, Advanced Research Institute,
School of Art & Design, Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 2XN, UK.

tel +44(0)1782 294565 fax +44(0)1782 294873
email: <[log in to unmask]