Re: (Visual) Texts & Staves

"david bircumshaw" <[log in to unmask]>

david bircumshaw

Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:37:34 -0700

text/plain

candice

thanks for such a fascinating associational Grand Tour of Prynne as echoes
of words long dead and secrets that are almost but not quite about to be
revealed but I remain perturbed at some of your projections, your decoding
figures.
I can understand a writer not wishing to court or tout for 'appreciation and
understanding' but if, as the slant your post seems to imply, that refusal
of the 'common herd' is more or less wilful, then I have to ask why?
What are the external pressures, the raison d'etre for,
Prynne-as-you-paint-him's encryption?
It is certainly not a situation comparable to the survival of Mandelstam's
late work in the Stalinist winter. Prynne as you receive him is a body of
work that requires leisure and access to resources to survive, implicit, it
would seem, in the poems is a mode of reception and support (imagine your
version of Prynne as a unemployed packer living on a housing estate, in ,
say, Gateshead)- which contradicts the notion of their not seeking
understanding and even more so audience - it would seem that the
understanding audience sought is restricted to suitable persons only. This
even raises the ghost of the old evil of culture as a marker for social
boundaries, the knowledge needed to be 'acceptable' to a group.
Who exactly, and why precisely, does Prynne's strategy of encryption intend
to exclude?
I did, as you mention, raise that tarnished word 'elitism' in an earlier
post, I did so with regret and do so again. I'd emphasise that the point of
what I'm pondering is Prynne-as-presented, I'm not necessarily discussing
Prynne-as-is.

david birch-rune