To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?A2=VRIN;f2b49c08.2109p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo East Midlands Violence Reduction Information Network: Issue 6 September 2021

In this Newsletter:

Scarman Lecture Series

Serious Violence Duty Readiness Interviews - Progress Report

Spotlight on Thames Valley Violence Reduction Unit

Violence Reduction Scanner

Contact Details

Subscription Details

Spotlight on Thames Valley Violence Reduction Unit

The Thames Valley Violence Reduction Unit is one of the eighteen Home Office funded VRU's. You can find their website here: https://www.tvvru.co.uk They also have a strong social media presence, especially on Twitter: @TV_VRU

Some of the funding awarded to the TV VRU is for similar national projects to our own VRU's in the East Midlands region but there are also some interesting local initiatives. The VRU website is comprehensive and includes features about structure and governance which might be of interest to our non-VRU forces thinking about setting up their own VRU's in readiness for the Serious Violence Legal Duty. I was also interested to read about academic cooperation with Oxford University. Please remember at the University of Leicester we have a number of experts from many disciplines who have a track record of research with police forces, not just Criminology.

Violence Reduction Scanner

Starting next month for each addition of this newsletter we will scan all the VRU websites, media reports and academic publications on a monthly basis to alert you of any interesting content. We hope this will keep you informed of current developments which may be of interest and relevance in your own areas.

Contact Details

School of Criminology
University of Leicester
Fielding Johnson Building
University Road
Leicester
LE1 7RH

07544293904
https://le.ac.uk/criminology/research/violence-reduction-information-network

Scarman Lecture Series(Back to Top)

https://le.ac.uk/criminology/about/scarman-lectures

The School of Criminology was originally founded as the Scarman Centre for Public Order, advising the government following civil unrest in the 1980's and progressing to train and educate police leaders nationally and internationally. Please follow the link to see some of the previous lectures, some of which are available to listen to on the links provided to Soundcloud.

Yesterday's lecture featured Jason Kew, a Thames Valley Chief Inspector who is their Violence Reduction Unit lead against County Drug Lines and Drug Misuse. I wasn't able to join the Scarman Lecture yesterday, first one I've missed since 2015, but I am looking forward to listening to the recording and will let you know when it becomes available. From Twitter updates last night I understand Jason was making links between drug misuse and serious violence so the session should be of general interest to this group. Jason's County Lines Drugs Team are situated in the Thames Valley VRU, signifying the strong relationship between drugs and violence.

You can find out more about the structure and work of the Thames Valley VRU in this months VRU Spotlight section. I know some areas are thinking about setting up their own VRU's. We are lucky to have two excellent examples within our own region in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland and Nottinghamshire but it is always useful to see what is going on in other regions of the country, especially if your area is after ideas and inspiration. In forthcoming newsletters I will be featuring VRU's from around the country for their innovative work and marketing of violence reduction initiatives.

Serious Violence Duty Readiness Interviews - Progress Report(Back to Top)

Progress continues in the preparation of the regional report into readiness for the Serious Violence Legal Duty. Analysis and writing up of the report has began following the transcription of the first three interviews and a number of interesting themes have emerged which will be of particular interest to the non-VRU forces. The remaining two interviews will be completed in the next two weeks so we are hoping to circulate the report to stakeholders in the region in late October / early November. Once finalised, a link to the report will be published here and on the VRIN website: https://le.ac.uk/criminology/research/violence-reduction-information-network

You are subscribed to East Midlands Violence Reduction Information Network. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?SUBED1=VRIN&A=1

To unsubscribe from the VRIN list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=VRIN&A=1