NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  June 2014

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING June 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: An article that doesn't understand new media art

Paul Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Paul Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Jun 2014 08:56:52 +1000

text/plain

Hi everyone

If I may briefly put my tuppence into the mix:

I studied art from 1965 and only later - in 1968 at Cybernetic Serendipity - discovered what I will for brevity call “computer art”.  So I see myself as an artist.  I am continuing a tradition that goes back via 20th century constructivism, etc… to Cezanne and further back to Giotto and beyond.  I adamantly opposed (as many of you will remember) the attempts in the 2000’s to claim that “new media” was significantly different from the art of the past.  This mistaken attitude only helped to ghettoise the field.

The other thing to consider is the long-established conservatism of the mainstream art world.  The “new” has always found it hard to break in.  An editorial in the Studio Magazine (in 1929 I think) asked if it was time to reconsider Cezanne or whether to just leave him in the “amateur” category.  Another editorial in Modern Painters (in 1979 I think) asked if photography had matured enough to be considered as an art form.  The lessons of the Salon des Refuses (in 1863) didn’t get accepted into the British art education system until the Coldstream Report was implemented after 1963 - over 100 years later.

In my opinion it’s foolish to expect the mainstream to comprehend or accept the new work.  They have too much invested both intellectually and economically in their entrenched attitudes and memes.

The lesson of art history is that art that pushes the boundaries has always been an outsider activity.

Some institutions are breaking the mould - Doug Dodds and his colleagues work at the UK’s V&A Museum is an eminent example.  London’s Barbican have a serious programme addressing digital and electronic arts - both my son Daniel and I have work in their “Digital Revolution” show that opens there this week.  Others dabble (one was famously quoted recently that they had “done” digital art and it was time to move on…).

It seems to me that this is just business as usual.  Complaining about it is a waste of breath.  Just get on with making the work and getting it seen.  The mainstream will catch up in a hundred years or so.

Best to all
Paul

On 29 Jun 2014, at 08:11, Goebel, Johannes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Crumbs,
>
> Please allow me to share a different view to Oliver¹s perspective.
>
> Since I am not a known member of the new/digital media circles, I should
> maybe give a few pointers to my background so what I write is not by
> necessity heard as the voice of a disenchanted person, but as coming from
> someone who has been involved deeply in parts of the field discussed in
> this list. This background does not pre-qualify my view, but it does give
> an indication of my continuous involvement in some parts of the field.
>
> I have worked in institutions focused on ³digital² and ³art² in two
> phases. 13 years as a founding member of ZKM in Germany and then 13 years
> as founding director of EMPAC in the US. And then outside of such
> institutions in the 13 years before ZKM, I was learning some trades in the
> field starting with computer music at Stanford, trying to get ³something
> going² in Germany with a culture deeply averted at the time to the
> combination of ³digital² and ³art(s)² ­ which is another interesting
> subject.
>
> As part of these positions I curated and organized in 1989 the first
> MultiMediale festival of ZKM, which then took place up to the opening of
> ZKM. At ZKM I was able to set-up the structure of ³institutes² for
> production and research as the first Leiter, ³director², of music and
> acoustics ­ and a year later Jeffrey Shaw joined us as the Leiter of image
> media. During the first half of my time at ZKM, I was highly involved with
> the design and construction of the ZKM building and facilities. And at the
> same time I was deeply involved in a large archival project of digital
> data (music) at a time when grants were declined for such endeavors
> because ³all-digital archives are not feasible² (1990).
>
> The discussion, Oliver spearheaded in this forum regarding museums and
> digital art, would find a trove of materials by analyzing the process,
> development and turns of the museums at ZKM. Indeed, the ZKM museums did
> have the largest ³media art² collections at the time and they have
> invested a lot of energy, work and more or less deliberations into the
> museumification of such art works. A highly interesting case study some of
> you in academia might find a Ph.D. student to dive intoŠ
>
> An analysis of the productions and directions of the two producing
> institutes at ZKM might be equally valuable. Both institutes had
> distinctively different goals, methodologies and cultural perspectives in
> pursuing their potential. And I think it is fair to say that an analysis
> of how the production side of ZKM evolved after Peter Weibel took the lead
> at ZKM and Jeffrey and I left in 2002 may indeed be of high historical
> interest ­ how it all shifted, where the creation of new works has been
> positioned in relationship to the agendas of the ZKM museums, how
> exhibition, retrospectives and preservation activities in conjunction with
> [...]

====
Paul Brown - based in the UK March to May 2014
http://www.paul-brown.com == http://www.brown-and-son.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Honorary Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====