NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  April 2017

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING April 2017

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: CRUMB discussion – April - on Internet art and platform building

"Marialaura Ghidini @ Srishti Institute" <[log in to unmask]>

Marialaura Ghidini @ Srishti Institute

Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:03:37 +0530

text/plain

Following up on my previous post, Curating the Contemporary online magazine has just published an interview of Rebekah and me with Miriam La Rosa.
This might give a better insight into the #exstrange project for Alejandro’s discussion, https://curatingthecontemporary.org/2017/04/24/6109/ <https://curatingthecontemporary.org/2017/04/24/6109/>

Bests,
Marialaura

> [...]
>>

>> I like to now bring up a few key points that I thought were particularly interesting. The first is from Max:
>>

>> My final remark is on artists as platform builders rather than content creators. It seems young artists are increasingly aware and interested in the free user private platform model. This is not just becoming subjects of exploration but also that power relation is also becoming a transferred as a model of production. I don't know if this is historically the case but it feels more and more individual practitioners become their own institutions or studios or run their own schools and reflect platforms in their hybrid/expanded practices. This integration of web platform ecology into personal practices perhaps presents some challenges for curators and for artists. In a sparsely funded sector artists seem to be imitating platform economics in the hope of eventually flipping their followers into financial capital. Just as a platform such as Google will provide services for free because the value created by amassing users to train algorithms is far greater than the net costs of providing the service for free, in what way are artists imitating the same economic models?
>>

>> And the other Stanza:
>>

>> A platform for tomorrow's audience could be made in a similar way, whose aim would be  to operate on a variety of levels. However it will always be contained inside other systems. The system of gallery or controlling force has always indirectly tried to direct this and recent forays by the mainstream to art historicize these early years feel both relevant and insubstantial in equal measure. In so much as this discussion is working inside a similar institutional parameter.
>>

>> I feel they both touch up on this idea, reflecting Max’s words, of Artist and platform builder then content creator. I think this is a really interesting point, because when talking about curating – there is a level of emulation from the curator in this process, yet in terms of content, the artist is the provider or maybe a collaborator.  It be interesting to think of this in conjunction with a curator that identifies as a platform builder as well, because then the two points I picked up on would maybe become intertwined to happen simultaneously, i.e artist doing a project on a establish curatorial platform, or vice versa.

>>> acacia/cours/essi2006/Scientific%20American_%20Feature%20Article_%20The%

T: +91 80 49000807 | www.srishti.ac.in <http://www.srishti.ac.in/>