What is there to gather around,

except for self pity.

Life lived with out memory,

is pure consciousness.

"All pursuits of knowledge and understanding  is of personal nature",by which I mean the very nature of pursuit of knowledge and therefore arriving at understanding is personal, where engaging in peer group reviews or socretian dialog or even Satsang does not entail one as knowledgeable.None of these provide a key to unlocking the secret to understanding.
As in arriving at understanding is of very personal nature, which might resonate with others in terms of its universal, when it has the reflections of truth, even then each might be entitled to an understanding that has personal insight about it( if not interpretative).

Which also on the other hand can lead us to examine the very nature of dialectics or binary logic or +/ -.

It is in my understanding that the very nature of truth and an insight to it, lies out side the matrix of duality.Hence all reason and knowledge arrived through these methods is suspect and flawed, where in subjectivity and as to who holds the ground is what matters rather the very essence of truth.
To quote the early Vedantists and Sufis and christian monks like St. Francis have rejected the very frame work of knowledge.They held the view that the true nature of reality ( the unnameable by J.Krishnamurthi)or its understanding lies beyond knowledge.

On the other hand I don't think, I have the expertise to comment about the manner in which Yoga schools are plaguing the shopping malls and I don't know whether it is good or bad or even desired.

It is evident not only for those, who knew about Indian tradition, which like all other canonical disciplines is replete with various scholastic approaches to YOGA, fallowed after one master or another as in Martial arts, which are presumable the offshoot of Buddhism.Such interpretative disciplinary approach, one can see even in natural sciences as one comes across various experts with contradictory or complimentary assumptions and explanations in defining, the very nature of scientific reality.

Now in the end about this or the other ongoing conversations as to what is " lacking" is for each one of us to examine ( those interested)and bring-forth in explicit terms for the benefit of all.
- Indrakaran.
P.S-
Don,
Given my limited experience in film making and Film- Philosophy,I concur with you in your   observation "The world has evolved to where visual language experiments can easily be floated in a public space. Unjuried like Utoob, but within a corral like this salon", has a very valid ground where one aspect of  the future of Film lies.

Now to answer Indra: no, knowledge and understanding aren't "personal". Even when one is sharing intuitive insights one is discussing within a particular group that values insightfulness. Besides, Socratic dialog was fairly hardball, and involved eclencus, or on the spot refutation. Moreover, as everyone sought Socrates ' approval (remember, his name means "master of life!"), peerage was based on contribution within his symposium.

Indian philosophy is fife with master-pupil relations which have formed  schools of thought for over two thousand years. For example, all of these yoga schools that plague our shopping malls are named after various gurus who insist that so-called spiritual energy works in such- and- such a fashion. A simple inquiry as to whether this "energy" is reductable to discreet quanta will get one the peergroup heave-ho; which is to say nothing more, I suppose, that while Planck had his standards, the local bagwan has his, too. Unless one hails from Texas--where creationism and evolution exist, incommensurately, side by side-- choice in life involves a selection of peerage.

Bill Harris