Steve: that is the very article which I have been working on for several years, in order to correct errors in it.   The whole article should be ignored; it is totally unreliable.   Amongst other errors, Holletaverne cannot be 'holly' (since the spelling of that word with -ll- is modern), nor 'holy' (since the document writes -ll-).   And I did know about the website containing this article, as I am the maintainer of it.

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephen Doughety <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 17 October 2022 23:33
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Holletaverne, Ipswich

Hi Keith,

I don’t know if this helps

https://suffolkinstitute.pdfsrv.co.uk/customers/Suffolk%20Institute/2014/01/10/Volume%20XII%20Part%202%20(1905)_The%20Chaucer-Malyn%20family%20Ipswich%20V%20B%20Redstone_184%20to%20199.pdf

On page 189, the Holletaverne is translated as "Holly Tavern”. There's certainly a number of pubs in England called the Holly Bush, so I suppose it is possible. Also, I wonder if it might have been the ‘Holy' tavern as it seems the land belonged to the Augustinian Priory of Holy Trinity?

https://www.ipswich-lettering.co.uk/monasteries.html

Steve